ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Skipping Gear (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/331294-skipping-gear.html)

team_realtree 09-28-2010 12:48 AM

Skipping Gear

I have a 1995 yamaha timberwolf 250 2wd. When I shift up from neutral to 1st it works great but when I attempt to go to 2nd gear it skips second most of the time and I end up in third. It`s also really difficult to shift and sometimes will miss and not even be in a gear and the RPM`s go through the roof because I am moving.

I read a sticker on the plastic that says the atv must be stopped to change gears is this true? Doesn't make any sense to me if that is so.

It's one of those 5 speed semi auto transmissions where you don't use a clutch you just have a 5 up foot gear selector.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

mudslinger2 09-28-2010 07:56 PM

Tranny

I have a 95 wolverine that i am guessing has the same or very similar transmission. There is no way that you should have to stop to change gears. I don't understand why the RPMs would go way up when you miss a gear...unless you are on the gas. If it is slipping into a nuetral it shouldn't matter whether you are moving as far as the RPMs changing. There is a dial on the side of (left side as you are sitting on it) that changes the transmission/clutch tension...should have two arrows and increase/decrease...you may mess with that if you have one. Good Luck.
Mudslinger2

papa hogg scoot 09-28-2010 11:22 PM

Also may have an clutch lever or bolt backing out cause the clutch to be in neutal somestimes, would be under the right engine side cover[ right case cover]. What type of engine oil are you using? an oil with moly or auto.oil both can make clutch sticky and hard to shift...

team_realtree 09-29-2010 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot (Post 2964987)
Also may have an clutch lever or bolt backing out cause the clutch to be in neutal somestimes, would be under the right engine side cover[ right case cover]. What type of engine oil are you using? an oil with moly or auto.oil both can make clutch sticky and hard to shift...

It`s yamaha brand oil and I think its 10w40. I looked for an adjustment but I don`t see anything. The only adjustment related to that, that I could find in the manual was for the reverse forward lever.

Is it possible something is stripped or broken inside?

I'll try to describe it a little better:

Normally when you lift up it clicks into gear but when i go from 1st to second i feel alot of resistance and i hear two grinding click like noises and i end up in 3rd. It is like I am skipping 2nd all together. I don't think it is a problem related to the whole transmission because certain gears shift and work fine.

draarong2004 09-29-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by team_realtree (Post 2964997)
It`s yamaha brand oil and I think its 10w40. I looked for an adjustment but I don`t see anything. The only adjustment related to that, that I could find in the manual was for the reverse forward lever.

Is it possible something is stripped or broken inside?

I'll try to describe it a little better:

Normally when you lift up it clicks into gear but when i go from 1st to second i feel alot of resistance and i hear two grinding click like noises and i end up in 3rd. It is like I am skipping 2nd all together. I don't think it is a problem related to the whole transmission because certain gears shift and work fine.

when you shift, do you let off of the throttle?....has the quad been raced alot? it sounds like the trans is going, 1st might work forever, but it doesn't sound like it'll be shifting into 3rd much sooner either....there could be a few bolts or something stripped
do you do your own oil changes? do one and check to see if there is excessive amounts of metal shavings in the oil....that'd be a good sign something is getting tore up inside

Wallyk62 09-26-2019 08:21 PM

What side are you calling the right side cover

Dazeys 09-27-2019 08:39 AM

Right side is as your sitting on the quad, however this thread is 10 years old.

merryman 09-28-2019 09:07 AM

I think papa hog scoot is still around though.

I have had the odd Yam with a loose star wheel, which causes selection problems. It should be held in place by dowel and the dowel hole gets enlarged. Yam dealer recommended high strength Loctite paste, it did the trick.