Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Skipping Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skipping Gear

I have a 1995 yamaha timberwolf 250 2wd. When I shift up from neutral to 1st it works great but when I attempt to go to 2nd gear it skips second most of the time and I end up in third. It`s also really difficult to shift and sometimes will miss and not even be in a gear and the RPM`s go through the roof because I am moving.

I read a sticker on the plastic that says the atv must be stopped to change gears is this true? Doesn't make any sense to me if that is so.

It's one of those 5 speed semi auto transmissions where you don't use a clutch you just have a 5 up foot gear selector.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Tranny

I have a 95 wolverine that i am guessing has the same or very similar transmission. There is no way that you should have to stop to change gears. I don't understand why the RPMs would go way up when you miss a gear...unless you are on the gas. If it is slipping into a nuetral it shouldn't matter whether you are moving as far as the RPMs changing. There is a dial on the side of (left side as you are sitting on it) that changes the transmission/clutch tension...should have two arrows and increase/decrease...you may mess with that if you have one. Good Luck.
Mudslinger2

Old 09-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Also may have an clutch lever or bolt backing out cause the clutch to be in neutal somestimes, would be under the right engine side cover[ right case cover]. What type of engine oil are you using? an oil with moly or auto.oil both can make clutch sticky and hard to shift...

Old 09-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Also may have an clutch lever or bolt backing out cause the clutch to be in neutal somestimes, would be under the right engine side cover[ right case cover]. What type of engine oil are you using? an oil with moly or auto.oil both can make clutch sticky and hard to shift...
It`s yamaha brand oil and I think its 10w40. I looked for an adjustment but I don`t see anything. The only adjustment related to that, that I could find in the manual was for the reverse forward lever.

Is it possible something is stripped or broken inside?

I'll try to describe it a little better:

Normally when you lift up it clicks into gear but when i go from 1st to second i feel alot of resistance and i hear two grinding click like noises and i end up in 3rd. It is like I am skipping 2nd all together. I don't think it is a problem related to the whole transmission because certain gears shift and work fine.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by team_realtree
It`s yamaha brand oil and I think its 10w40. I looked for an adjustment but I don`t see anything. The only adjustment related to that, that I could find in the manual was for the reverse forward lever.

Is it possible something is stripped or broken inside?

I'll try to describe it a little better:

Normally when you lift up it clicks into gear but when i go from 1st to second i feel alot of resistance and i hear two grinding click like noises and i end up in 3rd. It is like I am skipping 2nd all together. I don't think it is a problem related to the whole transmission because certain gears shift and work fine.
when you shift, do you let off of the throttle?....has the quad been raced alot? it sounds like the trans is going, 1st might work forever, but it doesn't sound like it'll be shifting into 3rd much sooner either....there could be a few bolts or something stripped
do you do your own oil changes? do one and check to see if there is excessive amounts of metal shavings in the oil....that'd be a good sign something is getting tore up inside

Old 09-26-2019, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

What side are you calling the right side cover

Old 09-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right side is as your sitting on the quad, however this thread is 10 years old.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

I think papa hog scoot is still around though.

I have had the odd Yam with a loose star wheel, which causes selection problems. It should be held in place by dowel and the dowel hole gets enlarged. Yam dealer recommended high strength Loctite paste, it did the trick.