Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV won't start

Recently I purchased a 1996 yamaha timberwolf. It ran great initially but one time I shut it down and now when I go to start it there is just a click at the solenoid. I've been looking through the manual and doing a bunch of tests and according to the tests my starting circuit cutoff relay is bad. From the solenoid there is a blue/white wire that runs from the solenoid to the starter cutoff relay. Does it make sense if the cutoff relay is bad that the solenoid will just click? I took a multimeter to the output of the solenoid and when hitting the start button I have 0V but 12 on the input. I'm not sure if the solenoid is malfunctioning or if the starter cutoff relay needs to work in order for the solenoid to work. Any help offered would be greatly appreciate

Old 10-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I would make sure that the starter is okay, Put an circuit light tester to ground then probe starter wire then push starter button to see if the circuit lights up.If not than its possible that the cut relay or solinold is bad.If the light comes on then everything is fine to that point. then in the starter prolly brushes, But if it don,t light up than test the solnoid by this test, Okay get an test batt. and volt meter with buzz box in it or just conituty ohms...Okay here we go..... take an small set of test leads with gator clip ends on them, hook them to test batt then the other end to both small wire terminals than ohms meter to big post on solenoid when solenoid clicks see if ohm meter or buzz box makes conuity. if does then solenoid is good..if don,t then solenid piston is stuck and won,t make conuity.NEXT what color is your wire in cut relay connector?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
I guess I would make sure that the starter is okay, Put an circuit light tester to ground then probe starter wire then push starter button to see if the circuit lights up.If not than its possible that the cut relay or solinold is bad.If the light comes on then everything is fine to that point. then in the starter prolly brushes, But if it don,t light up than test the solnoid by this test, Okay get an test batt. and volt meter with buzz box in it or just conituty ohms...Okay here we go..... take an small set of test leads with gator clip ends on them, hook them to test batt then the other end to both small wire terminals than ohms meter to big post on solenoid when solenoid clicks see if ohm meter or buzz box makes conuity. if does then solenoid is good..if don,t then solenid piston is stuck and won,t make conuity.NEXT what color is your wire in cut relay connector?
The starter works fine. I can run the positive directly to the starter and it will fire the atv right up. Its somewhere along the lines of a switch. The wire that runs from the solenoid to the relay cutoff is blue with a white stripe in it. I don`t quite understand the test that you are trying to describe i apologize. There is no voltage output from the solenoid I just wasn`t sure if the blue/white wire running from solenoid to the cutoff relay makes a connection that allows the solenoid to work. Confusing I know.....

Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure if this will help diagnose whether the solenoid still works or not but if i take a screw driver and touch it across both solenoid posts the atv starts right up. So based on the fact that the solenoid clicks and has 12v on the input does that mean its still good?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What color is all the wires please?Also can you hit the relay and make it work?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

Does anyone know how to delete an account? I lost the password to the first one and now have 2 going

I will check the wiring colors and post tomorrow. When you say hit the relay do you mean just that Physically HIT the relay? I can try it.