Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.
View Poll Results: What havent i tried ?
Put battery in but doesnt need battery to run ?
0%
Clean carb again ?
100.00%
Change spark solenoid ?
0%
Selling the Bitch
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Need help starting 1987 yamaha moto 4 80cc

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help starting 1987 yamaha moto 4 80cc

So Ive tried Everything i cleaned the carb New spark plug cleaned all my points checked all my leads the carb is getting gas and the plug is allways wet motor will turn over fine but no start and the carb doesnt overflow it acts like kill switch is on but isnt cause it turns over wouldnt even fire with starting fluid

Old 11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Wheeler91
So Ive tried Everything i cleaned the carb New spark plug cleaned all my points checked all my leads the carb is getting gas and the plug is allways wet motor will turn over fine but no start and the carb doesnt overflow it acts like kill switch is on but isnt cause it turns over wouldnt even fire with starting fluid
Have you tired Push Starting it? Sometimes the starter won't turn it fast enough to start for some reason, on the 80's.... Also a jump start may git-r-goin'.

The most common issues I've had with the 80 is the valve timing was wrong..... re-set the gap on the valves and see if that helps. Other than that..... can't be too sure what could be the issue.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

does it need a battery ? because the only purpose the battery serves is starting it it doesnt have a headlight and ive been jumping it with a car ive only got it to start once and stay on for like 5 seconds and then i never got it to start again and how do u adjust the valve timings ?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Pro Rider

does it need a battery ? because the only purpose the battery serves is starting it it doesnt have a headlight and ive been jumping it with a car ive only got it to start once and stay on for like 5 seconds and then i never got it to start again and how do u adjust the valve timings ?
First, Get a manual... even a cheapy one. They're available on ebay for around 5-10 bucks, downloadable. Someone else may chime in with a freebie version of one,.... I have one, but haven't been able to post it on a forum at all.

The manual will walk you through the valve setting,.... in case you don't read carefully, SET THEM COLD..... dead cold, under 90 degrees ambient temp, in the shade cold.

You may also have other electrical issues, but that would be my starting point. And make sure the fuel petcock is "open" on either "on" or "res" and the proper switches or on on the Handle bars. Check to see if the tank has any fuel in it too..... I spent half a day last year t-shooting mine, knowing it had gas in it, to find out someone else had been riding and didn't let me in on the "empty" status.

Generally it's the simple things that spend our time..... so verify all the simple stuff.

You can view an operators manual online, in the parts and service area of the Yamaha motorcycle website.... If you're shifty enough you may be able to copy the info you need..... the owners manual you'll need to look at, is the 98 badger book...... same basic machine.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok so its not the valves we push started it and white smoke came out of the back it ran real low for like 2 seconds

Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

ok so its not the valves we push started it and white smoke came out of the back it ran real low for like 2 seconds
Nothing says "burning oil" like the white smoke..... this could indicate broke rings, or a couple of other things. Or bad fuel......

What kind of fuel are you using? This unit should be running straight fuel, not a mix fuel..... Is it possible you've got 2 stroke fuel in it?

......Just askin'... not sayin' anything you've done has been bad or wrong at this time.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

im running clean gas through it i have plenty of compression but when i took the carb apart the needle was having a hard time going in and out with the float could this be a possibility ?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok so i got a new carb needle and push started it and i got fire it started but i had to hold the gas all the way down only for it to act like the choke was on but the choke is clearly off

Old 11-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i hate to say it but you need to clean the carb out again. if it's bogging down, the jets are starting to plug up. also, i've worked on a moto before, i know the bigger ones have a decompression lever, i presume the smaller won't have one. BUT, white smoke ain't good, but if it's bogging down, please reclean the jets.....and double check the choke's physical position inside.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

If you have to keep WOT to get it to run like that, it sounds like you're flooding...... Definitely check the choke for proper positions.... Sounds like it's not correct somehow.... Also check to see that the carb has a jet in it at all..... sounds like it could be missing a main jet.

I'm Perplexed for sure.

By the way,... love the poll!

Quick Reply: Need help starting 1987 yamaha moto 4 80cc