Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I'm thinking about buying a Grizzly 700 -- Need info!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm thinking about buying a Grizzly 700 -- Need info!

This comes from a pretty expierenced rider. I'm 22. I grew up on a couple old Polaris atv's and Honda's. Mainly an '01 Rancher ES and a '98 Foreman ES and another '04 Foreman S.

In 2004 i bought an '04 Sportsman 500 H.O. Camo that got stolen out of the dealership a year later during hurricane Katrina, and the dealer replaced it with an '04 700 Sportsman.

Never had a problem out of those two bikes and LOVED them. But i sold the 700 back in '06 and haven't had an ATV since then until 2009. Bought an '08 Sportsman 500 EFI Camo and loved it too... when it worked. First Polaris to let me down and that, along with my crappy new dealer in town had me wanting a different brand. I still respect Polaris and may come back to them in the future. But for now, i'm looking elsewhere.

So now all of that's out of the way, i want you all to know I just sold my '08 and came out +3000 bucks. And i'm in the market for a Grizz.

I'm limited in my time with Yamaha's. Only driven my friends '06 660 a couple times a few years ago and test drove a Grizz 550 with Power Steering about a year ago. So i'm not used to them.

My heart says a Grizzly 700 with power steering but my wallet says Grizz 700 without it.

I can't go over 8500. It's just too much money right now. I would like to get a winch on one before i leave the floor.

I'm going looking for one tomorrow and would like some comments on what prices I can expect and what I should be okay with and what isn't acceptable.

Is power steering worth it?
How does the Grizzly compare to current Sportsman's?
Never had a diff lock option, seems fun to play with limited slip and to lock it, with Honda's and Polaris, it's put it in 4WD and GO. How do you all like this system?

Last question, It's possible that I could wind up getting a Foreman 500 ES EPS if I like it enough. I just don't think it'll have enough power? We'll see.

Thanks for ALL the input! I need the help ASAP!

Old 04-12-2011, 06:07 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

The Grizz is an awesome ride. The fact that it is a yearly contender and a consistent award winner in the ATV mags should indicate it's a great bike.

Power steering is absolutely worth the extra $, especially if you ride tough terrain for any given distance, as it not only acts as a steering shock damper, but allows you to steer when you have the front wheels locked up for the really rough stuff.

The boiling gas issue has been addressed, and as far as I know there are no other problems...a buddy of mine has a 2004 Griz 660 that has been a good reliable ride, even with the 28's he put on it the first day he got it.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

I rode with a bunch of the older Grizzlys but never own one. They seem to be quit durable and little issues. The most repair I know of them are torn boots.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

they say the power steering helps when in 4x4 lock mode. the diff lock mode allows you to put it in lock when you want to and control when to take it out of lock instead of waiting for the tires to loose and kick in and out of traction lock like the auto lock 4x4".

Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i got a 07 Grizzly 450. i love it. it does everything and more. the grizzly line up is tough to beat. i've had ZERO issues with mine. ZERO! flawless machine. i'd buy another in a heatbeat if i needed to. . i guess i need to real soon.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jaster94
i got a 07 Grizzly 450. i love it. it does everything and more. the grizzly line up is tough to beat. i've had ZERO issues with mine. ZERO! flawless machine. i'd buy another in a heatbeat if i needed to. . i guess i need to real soon.
I actually own a 2011 griz 450. I almost bought a 550 but the 450 was a little smaller.I figured it would be easier to run the trails with. As far as the eps goes its a $700 option that I decided I could live without. I considered how often I would be using the 4x4 loc mode and decided it wasn't worth it.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RoyP
I actually own a 2011 griz 450. I almost bought a 550 but the 450 was a little smaller.I figured it would be easier to run the trails with. As far as the eps goes its a $700 option that I decided I could live without. I considered how often I would be using the 4x4 loc mode and decided it wasn't worth it.
exactly, when i was studying and reviewing everything about the grizzlies, i saw the overwhelming stats on the 450 and decided that i don't need power steering. one look, one ride, SOLD. i like it. does everything i need and more.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Personally If I had to choose a utility, grizz 700 would be the only way to go!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 420Pimp
Personally If I had to choose a utility, grizz 700 would be the only way to go!
not me, i don't need anything that big.....other people might, i don't. i'm sure it's a good machine, after all, it's a grizzly! more power to'em!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

jonjon, get what you want. it's only money, they got financing, and you won't be satisfied unless you get what you want. don't settle for what you don't want. heck, they're still printing money and you're still working for money, WIN/WIN, buy the 700cc, you won't regret it.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying a Grizzly 700 -- Need info!