Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just brought my kodiak back home from the two month resting place (friends barn)and can't get
it to start.Any suggestions?Thanks for any help

2000 Green kodiak
warn winch

Old 03-20-2001, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Let me know how it acts when you push the start button.

Old 03-20-2001, 10:05 PM
bow
Trailblazer

It's possible it might need the carb to be cleaned, was the gas turned off during that time?

Old 03-20-2001, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

The engine turns over.You can put the choke in multiple places with no change in trying to start.Once or twice it sounds like it wants to take off but really never fires.Yes the gas was left on (dumb move).I have let it go longer than this and it has started fine.I have not got to check my plug or if it is getting fire.The manual says to take off the gas line to see if the fuel **** is clogged.I wanted to get your guys opinion first.Thanks for any help

Old 03-20-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

If I was haveing your problem here is what I would do.

1. I know this sounds silly but, check your kill button.

2. Check your plug and see if its getting fire. If not then install a new one. Also note the condition. If its black or even wet then the choke plunger might be sticking causing it to flood. This is what happend to mine this past winter. If the fire is weak I would install a new plug if I had one.

3. If the plug is firing and looks in good condition turn the gas off and drain the float bowl. On page 8-34 of your owners manual shows a picture of the screw to turn to release the fuel "possibly" water out of your bowl. Its the small one on the bottom with the plastic tube connected to it. Be sure to let the contents run into something to see if water was in it. "If it had water in it fill it back up and try again".

4. After it is empty I would turn the gas back on and see if gas ran out the drain tube. If it didnt, turn off the gas, take off the tube that goes from the fuel **** to the carb, turn the gas back on and see if any fuel flows. If it doesnt flow then the fuel **** stoped up.

5. If all the above check out; plug firing, gas flowing then you are not getting gas through the carb. I would take off the carb and take out the slow jet/pilot jet. This is the circuit that deals with starting and idleing.

These are the things I would do. It may or may not work but its where I would start.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-21-2001, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

Here's what you do. Take the spark plug out and crank it over for a couple of minutes with the spark plug out. Then replace with a new spark plug. That should do the trick.

Old 03-21-2001, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

FKNA, why do you write such a simple post? You need to write a complicated one like I do and try and confused people LOL. J/K

Old 03-24-2001, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help.I drained the bowl and removed the plug.Checked the gas and the fire.Put it all back together and it started right up.Thanks for saving me a trip to the dealer for something that simple.This is my first four wheeler and I still need to learn alot about it.

Old 03-24-2001, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Thats excellent! Glad we could help. We all have to learn about it sometime. Anymore question, feel free to ask. Im sure someone will be able to help you.

Old 03-25-2001, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider

great reply's! This is what the forum should be used for!!
Get rid of the bashing crap.
This is what I like to read about, people helping people out!

Quick Reply: Kodiak won't start