Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How manytimes do u rebuild a banshee motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001 | 08:24 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Wazzup, I have a Blaster, and i put it up for sale and i have been wanting a banshee,and i was wondering how many times do u have to rebuild the motor in a year or so...And are the machines really reliable..thanks

Old 03-23-2001 | 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

every 400 hours worth of use

Old 03-23-2001 | 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Banshee is a '99, and I still haven't rebuilt the top end yet. Two weeks ago, I installed a CoolHead, and it didn't have hardly any wear on it.

Regards,

Rog

Old 03-23-2001 | 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

I agry with rapidrog
I have a 99 shee, and I dont even feel a disminution in power since I bought two years ago.

Old 03-23-2001 | 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

I have two banshees.. One is a 94 and has never been rebuilt. Compression is still good and the cylinders still look good. This bike gets RIDDEN hard and alot. I think at this point I am pushing my luck however and have new piston/rings in the garage ready to go on : )

Old 03-23-2001 | 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

A banshee is a whole diffrent ball-park, I bought one and blew it up within a mile, lost over $1,000 easily.. you should have a good feeling about the 2-stroke motors, if you do not know how to tear down a motor then I wouldnt suggest it unless you can afford to lose money, BUT blowing up my banshee was almost a "good" thing (the whole loss of money really sucked) but I learned a ton about 2-strokes after it happened.. tore it apart and threw it together like 5 times just cuz I was bored.... I diddnt have the cash to fix it, but I did get that beast to run on ONE scratched to h#ll piston (busted the rod off on the right side so threw it together with the left piston only!) lmao... got pics of the toasted engine if you would like? Anyways this is totally my opinion and what happend to me, Im sure people have had shees for 10 years and had no problems, but I did....

Old 03-24-2001 | 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

I would agree with yamahafan, I own a 99 banshee and have to rebuild it anywhere from 250-400 hours of use.. It really depends upon alot of factors, I know people that need rebuilds after 100-150 hours of use. It works out for me that I rebuild after every season. I have seen people suck up some dirt or run to hard and end up having to rebuild after 20 hours.. I follow the rule, If it is time for new rear tires, I need new pistons. Seems to work out pretty good for me..

Old 03-24-2001 | 10:37 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies... I am still debating on weather or not to get the shee cause i love that power.... plus i have no clue about 2 stroke motors, and for right now i want a fast,reliable quad and i was wishing the banshee was one

Old 03-24-2001 | 11:01 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replies..I am still debating on to get the banshee or not, ever since i rode my friends shee i wanted one.. the reason i had brought this up was that i wnated a fast,reliable quad, plus i heard u have to rebuild the motor like a year in or so, and i have no clue bought 2 storke motors. I dont have enough money for a raptor, and i want a yamaha. So i just need to make up my mind on a quad soon, by the way can any of u list fast and reliable quads..thanks

Old 03-24-2001 | 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

I'd say go with a 4-stroke if you do not feel confident doing engine work or anything like that, usually 4-strokes require less maintanence... Have you thought about a warrior/400ex? They are both great machines and less work then a banshee (usually). Thought they do not have that banshee 2-stroke "ummph".. Also, a banshee costs twice as much to rebuild then any other quad on the market to date. A topend for my blaster might run me $150, for the banshee you are talking $350+ and usually when shee's blow up they bust rods and tweak the crank.. and that is a whole boatload of cash.. I'd say ask around, mabe buy a quad magazine or something and see for yourself what you want, there is quite the assortment of sport quads, you should be able to find one that fits you perfectly if you research them a little..

Quick Reply: How manytimes do u rebuild a banshee motor