Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help please getting my 01 raptor 660 running anyone !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please getting my 01 raptor 660 running anyone !!!

Hello everyone. I have my yamaha raptor 660 for some time now , it has been sitting in my shed for the better part of 2-4 years. I miss dearly riding and want to start again. I drained the gas and replaced the fuel petcock, also drained the oil and replaced the oil filter along with the coolant. I have removed the front plastics and cleaned the carbs out completely. i removed all the jets and the needles and blew out with a compressor all the cleaner. I have tried numerous times to get it to start but no matter what i do it just turns over. I know i have spark and i am getting fuel to the plug. even tried using starting fluid where the plug goes, i messed with the brass screws on the bottom of the carbs too, fuel/ air ratio mixture screws. I justdont what else to do. Please any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you

Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I would check the valve clearances and the timing.

Several years ago my 660 was stolen, and 3 years after it was stolen, I got it back. When I got it back, it looked like it had been sitting for several years, everything was rusty and there was even a rat nest in the airbox. I did the same as you did, cleaned everything up but it still wouldn't start. My timing was off, I don't know how it got off or when, it could have happened while the thief was riding it. I set the timing and checked the valves and it fired right up.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

im glad to hear from someone that had similar problems. valve clearances and timing. I am not a gearhead or as mechanically inclined as id like to be. how would i go about checking the timing and clearances . i would have to remove the head off of the motor wouldnt i ?

Old 04-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

You don't have to remove the head, but if I remember correctly (that was about 7 years ago), just the cover on the top of the head. For some reason I remember the timing being tricky to set on the 660. I have a full PDF Raptor 660 manual that would tell you how to check/set everything, but the file is so large I don't know how to post it on here?

Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

thats ok . i just ordered the feelers so i can check the valve clearances on the valves and also oreded a service/repair manual. hopefully i can get it running. thanks so much

Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont know if you got it running but there are caps you can remove right above the valves they are there for you to check the valves on it. The are round caps and pretty easy to find.You should also make sure you are getting fuel to the the engine after cranking it pull the plug and check if its wet. You can also check the gap on the plug make sure that its the right gap.