Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha banshee throttle sticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamaha banshee throttle sticking

Hey well i have 1999 banshee , i recently got the whole motor rebuilt in 09 , anyway i did not ride it for a couple years but always started here and there so it didint sit to long , but this year when i went riding for the first time , everything worked good and then my second time out this year on the trails i broke down cause one of my carbs caps came off cause the cap was stripped so what i did was glued the capp on but it wouldint turn over at alll so i followed the trouble shooting steps and at the step where it said to disconnect the tors connection so i did and the banshee started right away but the idle zoomed to the top it sounded like it was about to blow up so i shut it off braught it to yamaha repair shop he told me he is gonna get the tors elimanation kit and install it kay well i went riding yesterday and it was running good but all of sudden my banshee would start driving on its own at some points but would then stop so i didint think much of it and then my radiator forcthe first time ever started smoking , but i still kept riding and then all of a sudden the idle shot up to full speed and started driving its self fast and wouldint stop so i hit the kill switch it took a bit of time to stop then it did ,, so i started it after to see if the problem left but nope it didint , everytime i start it now the idle shoots up right away like its about to blow ,, as you can imagine im pretty mad about this cause i just paid 500$ to have this problem fixed and now its worse , any ideas of what i can do or what i should do thanks tho

Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by bansheerider2.0
Ok, well man first please use punctuation. You don't have to be an author or type perfect english just use a period here or there. You will get many more responses that way. It's very hard to follow what your saying and I stumbled through it.

I think your saying your 'shee will, on its own, rev rapidly on it's own accord. First thing to do is check for air leaks in the carb boots. That can case it. Next thing to do is clean the carb. If it sit that long it most likely needs to be done. Sounds like the float needle is sticking.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Range Rover

Im betting your slides are stuck or your throttle cable is binding and causing it.

Try snapping the thumb throttle a couple times and seeing if it frees up when you start it. Also try turning handlebars back and forth while following your throttle cable to carbs. If they are binding sometimes that will cause it.

If that doesn't stop it, I'm betting your slides are stuck.

Remove carbs and clean them well. Could be caused by grit or gunk buildup from sitting.

Use to have one that the caps leaked on and every time I'd go through water that splashed up on the caps the slides would stick and away I'd go wide freaking open....
Replaced those and never had the problem again.