Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Making Raptor Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 01:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how can i make my raptor as light as can be.I want to try to get it as light as an R.I know it might be hard to do.but if i can it will launch well..Thanks

Old 03-28-2001, 03:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

i removed my headlights today. I think that saved me about a pound

Old 03-28-2001, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

The only thing I can see are replacing the factory mild steel grab bars and handelbars with aftermarket aluminum. After that your talking major bucks. The stock tires and wheels are about as light as you are going to get and stay somewhat reliable on the trail. You could try to find a lightweight gel cell battery to replace the stocker. A hollow aftermarket axle, custom aftermarket aluminum or Cro-mo frame, The a-arms and swing arm are pretty light already. So you could grind and polish the stock swing arm perfectly smooth to get rid of what little bit of excess weight there is in the rough factory welds. Then you can go through and replace every bolt with titanium. Don't forget the anti-seize on every bolt. Time lots, money lots. Will it work? You might get that light if you are lucky. This is not to say don't try or it's not possible. This is just saying that Yamaha went to alot of trouble to make the raptor light already. Other than the frame, bars and exhaust, there is not much left to lighten without compromising reliabilty. If you accomplish your goal let me know, that would be one machine I would definitely like to see in person.