Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV blower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
can't see how it would work without an efi-
maybe stuffing more air down a carb would work- kinda like the old ram-air hoods back in the 60's... but you'd have to run a rich mixture I would think.
if my memory is correct, the ram air hoods worked off a vacuum and would open the ram when the carb's secondaries opened- dumping fuel down the intake and forcing air around the filter... and a partial vac line would usually run from the carb to the distributor cap to advance the timing a bit.
I agree. Without some engineering and R&D, it sounds like a bad idea to me. There are more ways to get power from that engine. If you're not careful, forcing too much air into the engine without enough fuel will certainly cause the engine to fail!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 AM
Range Rover

Do as you wish but I think theres other mods that would be more beneficial.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Not going to work.

A little back ground about myself so you know I'm not talking out of my a$$. I am an ATV/small engine mechanic and a drag racer building and racing 2500hp 10.5 outlaw mustangs.

An electric blower is just that, an air blower. Blowing air into the engine will not add power. The way a supercharger/turbo makes power is it compresses the air. Compressed air allows more to fit in the combustion chamber. More air/fuel makes more power.

Now if you can fit a good gas powered leaf blower to the bike it does push enough air to compress it in the intake. But then you run into the problem of fuel. A carb is not designed to have compressed air in it so no fuel will be pulled out of the bowl. The only way to do it is to either convert to EFI or get a blow through carb which I doubt they make for ATV's.

As for "Ram Air" all that is was a clever marketing scheme. Air travels into the engine at close to the speed of sound, so unless you're driving at the speed of sound you are NOT "Ramming" anything into the engine. But they did make a bit more power by pulling in colder outside air. Colder air is more dense allowing more to fit into the chamber.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Range Rover

Reminds me of the Episode of Road Kill where the guys from Motor Trend put five leaf blowers on a 1978 Monza and went LandSpeed racing with it.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

they make blowers for utv's theres one for the xp900 and rhinos. fuel injection is the most logical way to go more oxygen+more fuel=more power. and there is people you have rigged up small turbos(the type they run on diesal gen sets) on atvs