Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

4 Stroke Eng. Motorcycle Oil Castrol 4T for Wet Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Stroke Eng. Motorcycle Oil Castrol 4T for Wet Clutch

I have this in my 2009 BB the 20-50 and just wanted to be sure it was ok for the wet clutch. Thanks fellers

Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

It is made for wet clutches.

As long as it has no friction modifiers in it, you will be fine. I use Shell Rotella in my bike. Regular is about $13 a jug and the T6 synthetic is about $22. One jug is 4 qts.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
It is made for wet clutches.

As long as it has no friction modifiers in it, you will be fine. I use Shell Rotella in my bike. Regular is about $13 a jug and the T6 synthetic is about $22. One jug is 4 qts.
Thanks bud, I was just concerned because I didn't see anything about wet clutches on the bottle. What exactly are friction modifiers? I don't mean to be ignorant but I just wanted to know. I guess I can always google it lol. Thanks again bro!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you see on the "star" at the back of bottle and it says "energy conserving" then friction modifiers have been added and not suitable for wet clutch engines although many have supposedly used oils like this with no problems. I wouldn't. Rotella T6 5w40 is also JASO rated which is what's on most branded cycle and atv oils.Here's all you want to know and don't want to know about oil... http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Old 04-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you see on the "star" at the back of bottle and it says "energy conserving" then friction modifiers have been added and not suitable for wet clutch engines although many have supposedly used oils like this with no problems. I wouldn't. Rotella T6 5w40 is also JASO rated which is what's on most branded cycle and atv oils.Here's all you want to know and don't want to know about oil... All About Motor Oil
Danget, well that's not good. I have it in my engine right now. Can I just take it out and replace it with Yamalube and it will be fine? Thanks guys! I am sure this thread will be useful to many. Keep the advice coming please... and

Old 04-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by EL"OSO"
Danget, well that's not good. I have it in my engine right now. Can I just take it out and replace it with Yamalube and it will be fine? Thanks guys! I am sure this thread will be useful to many. Keep the advice coming please... and
i believe the main issue with the friction modifiers is it makes your clutch slip, if its not slipping change your oil and you should be fine

Old 04-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by EL"OSO"
If you have the Castrol in there, it's ok.

There is a lot of confusion with it because it doesn't say it's safe for a wet clutch, but it is made for them.

Seems like they'd put that somewhere on the bottle. Lots of people have been confused by that.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by sprinklz
i believe the main issue with the friction modifiers is it makes your clutch slip, if its not slipping change your oil and you should be fine
Yea it's not slipping, but I am going to keep the oil in there as scootergtpx says it's alright.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
If you have the Castrol in there, it's ok.

There is a lot of confusion with it because it doesn't say it's safe for a wet clutch, but it is made for them.

Seems like they'd put that somewhere on the bottle. Lots of people have been confused by that.
Yea I wish they would put it on the bottle somewhere. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

Ok so I found that it says JASO MA-2, API SG on the bottle ..... The MA part means it's ok right

Quick Reply: 4 Stroke Eng. Motorcycle Oil Castrol 4T for Wet Clutch