Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What quad should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello people!
This is my first time here because i have been wanting to get a quad for the past few months. I am 5'7 ,140 pounds. I was womdering what quad i should get. I would like a warrior or a 300ex because I feel they would be a good size for me. I'm sure you guys have responded to many other posts like this but i would like if you could give me a comparison between the two. I will mostlikely be riding on trails and maybe in a few hare scrambles. We will also be moving in a few months to our new house which is out in the middle of a old farm field but I can see some wooded areas down the street. My dad also has said that we can build our own motocross track in our backyard if we want. So i am looking with a quad that will be good in trails, Harescrambles, and maybe a few jumps. Thanks for your time!

Old 04-01-2001, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

From the kinda riding you say you plan to do, I would skip both of those quads and go for a Raptor or 400ex.

Old 04-01-2001, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Definitly go with a 400 ex if possible.......you will regret it if you don't

Old 04-01-2001, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i have only one problem with that. I am only 14 and a 400ex would seem to big for me.Any other suggestions?

Old 04-01-2001, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Why do you say a 400ex is too big? The 400ex is lighter and easier to man-handle on the trail. Don't let the motor size scare you, you will be just fine! Just take it easy, and you will grow into it.
Look at it this way, buy something small (warrior or 300ex) right now, and in 1yr you will want a bigger bike, get the bigger one now. Otherwise you will have to try to sell the Warrior or 300ex, lose money, and still wind up getting a 400ex or something like that.

Old 04-01-2001, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

The problem with a 400ex and Raptor is that I only have 1500 to spend on a quad. From what I have found my choices are Blaster, Warrior, 300ex. What about these quads?

Old 04-02-2001, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Don't listen to these guys telling you to get a Raptor or a 400EX for your first quad, that would be a really stupid move.
The reason there are different size quads available is to meet different skill levels, and a beginner will learn alot more on a beginners quad.
Even if you weren't 14yrs old, I would still suggest starting with something smaller. If you start with something like the Raptor, and somehow don't kill yourself in the process of learning how to ride, you'll learn how to rely on the power to make up for your lack of skill, and you won't develop the skill to make use of the power. Anybody else on a Raptor who has actually taken the time to develop their technique will have a real advantage.
Anybody who tells a beginner to buy an experts machine is an idiot.
Of the three choices you mentioned, the 300EX would be the best for what you want, the Blaster is by far the most affordable, both new and used, and the Warrior would be ok if you find a good used one for a decent price. With your budget it'll depend on what you can find in the classifieds.

Old 04-02-2001, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

For $1,500 you can get a nice blaster or a beat 300ex... I'd go with the blaster, they are great fun, tough, and best of all cheap! There are TONS of aftermarket parts also.

Old 04-02-2001, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

For some reason i think a blaster would be to small for me. I would probably end up having to sell it in a month for something bigger. If i got a Warrior or a 300ex I wouldn't grow out of it but in a year or to i would probably end up selling it in a year or two for something bigger like a Raptor, 400ex, or a Banshee. I really only want to get a Warrior or 300ex. I have been leaning towards the Warrior because i hear it has more power then a 300ex. But which one has more low end? Thanks for your comments guys!

Old 04-04-2001, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am 14 weigh 150 been riding all my life and have owned a blaster for 3 years. it lacks the power for sand dunes and open fields but it really hauls for a 200cc bike. It will be plenty fast enough for trails. i love it because it dosn't weigh anything and handles awesome. It is a very cheap, easy to maintain. I'm only 14 and i took the whole machine apart by myself easly.

I really think you would like a blaster and you won't outgrow it soon

Quick Reply: What quad should i get?