Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Any Kodiak 700 reviews yet

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Kodiak 700 reviews yet

Would love to get someone's perspective on the Kodiak 700 better so with video. I searched all over you-tube and the only thing I could find was video by yamaha or dealers, no independent review or ride footage from an actual owner. On paper I am split between the Can-Am 570L and the Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS ES. I have my fingers crossed someone somewhere will compare and contrast the two.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think they have reached most dealerships just yet. Certainly not many sold and in the field just yet. Check your PM

Old 08-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming the price is similar as well. I think also they may have not have reached dealers in my area as well. I have seen them on their websites but that doesn't mean you can actually go test ride one. I would lean toward the Kodiak 700 especially if you're opting for the SE model, which also gets you diff-lock. Both of them are brand new models so no history to go on as far as durability. I assume both would be very reliable but I like the extra cc's of the Kodiak even though the Can Am is a v-twin which makes the overall hp numbers look very similar. The Kodiak should be stronger on low end while the Can-am will probably be faster on top end. Depends on what kind of riding you do or if you're going to use the machine for work and play. Both have steel racks, which is a plus in my opinion over the composite racks the regular Outlander models have. In the end, you can read all the reviews and watch videos but you need to actually ride both machines to decide which one suits you. What a test rider or reviewer might like, you might disagree with or vice versa.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:12 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My dealer has the 700SE on the showroom. Usually if a smaller displacement motor has the same hp as a larger motor the larger motor will have more bottom end torque.

The 570 may have the hp of the 700 but the 700 will need less rpm to produce it.

It was true with the 500 Outlander and 680 Rincon. Both are rated at 40hp but the 500 needed higher rpms to produce it, you get nothing for free.

that's why when the rate hp its always (this hp @ this RPM.)

Like the saying goes "There is no replacement for displacement".

Old 08-08-2015, 05:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Lower rpms usually=more reliable engine. That high revving Can-am 570 v-twin engine won't last as long as the more mellow 700 Kodiak single. That's why Honda engines last forever, they don't rev high to make more hp. Also lower rpms=quieter. That's something I appreciate over an engine screaming to make more hp.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Good point about the higher reving engine greg74. I am leaning towards the Yamaha mostly because I prefer torque over HP and a single 700cc has to be more torquey than a 570 V-twin. The trails I ride in northern NH are tight and technical. Plus I always like the idea of diff lock for plowing my driveway. Finally I'd rather separate rear and front brake levers for descending extremely technical rocky terrain. I think I just talked myself into the Kodiak.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like the Kodiak is more suitable for the type of work and riding you're going to do. The Can-Am has the visco progressive locker but I like being able to choose when I want full diff-lock instead of the machine doing it for me. That's why I hate the 4x4 system Polaris uses. With Yamaha its as simple as push a button for limited slip and then push another for diff-lock. It stays engaged until you push the button again to disengage it. No computer trying to read wheelspin and constantly engage and disengage it.