Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

kodiak thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The older Kodiak and Big Bear were very similar. The Kodiak got the auto trans in 2000 but the Big Bear kept the 5 speed semi auto up until they quit making it in 2011 l believe. I have no idea what older Harley parts are worth. If you don't plan on using them, then they don't really have much value to you. Better to trade them for something you'll use instead of letting them collect dust in a box somewhere.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing special on the Harley stuff. Rear tire/swing arm and luggage rack.
Where do you get your replacement parts? ebay? I am going to need tires, brake gables, front head lights and the front bumer.
I can probably build the front bumper easy enough. O and a seat cover.
Should I buy the yamaha oil or just the parts store brand for 4 stroke engines?
I will get a few pic but been busy and it's super cold out now.
She is not the prettiest thing. LOL

Old 12-17-2015, 12:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I seldom use Ebay anymore. I buy a lot of stuff from rocky mountain atv https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/?...JacaAhfq8P8HAQ They have oem replacement parts and a lot of aftermarket accessories. Amazon has basically everything as well. If you buy oil, make sure its meant for atvs. Honestly the Yamalube isn't really much more expensive than anything else and that's what its designed for. 3 quarts should be plenty to do an oil change, most quads need about 2.5 quarts. Sometimes you can find parts locally on craigslist if you don't mind them not being perfect. Sometimes you can find atv junkyards depending on where you live.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Range Rover

Here are a few pic of the Kodiak.
This is a good example of why you should not buy something in the dark.
I only have $250 of my money in it so far. I was just glad to get the parts out of the garage.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it runs its worth it. Looks don't mean that much. I see lots of people who are so worried about what their quad looks like. I could care less if i have scratches and scuffed plastic. My Grizzly is not perfect cosmetically. Its more important to me if everything works like its supposed to or at least good enough anyway. Other than needing some new tires, new tailight, and maybe a new seat cover(costs about $20), I don't see anything wrong with the way it looks.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

It runs pretty good.
It need the front light and the left hand brake cable and the right hand brake cable. Foot is good.
Tires is going to be the biggest expense. It did have a little oil leak under it. I will have to check that out later. For the money I spent and what little I will spend on it it wont be a bad quad tor the money.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Range Rover

Any guess on the year?
Where would I kind the vin number?
thanks

Old 12-23-2015, 10:04 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My 1989 Big Bear looked rough like that (well maybe not quite that bad) and is still running great to the person I sold it to.
What's that long lever on the side?

Old 12-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check this out for location of vin# https://atvconnection.com/forums/yam...in-number.html
As far as the lever visible on the left front, I'm guessing that's probably to shift into reverse. I had a Timberwolf before and it had a lever, though it looked similar to a pull start. On the Timberwolf, you had to be in first gear, stop, and then pull the lever back to go into reverse. To shift back to first gear, you stopped and pushed the lever back the other way.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Range Rover

The tall lever is for a snow blade.
The shorter one by the pull rope is the hi low reverse

Quick Reply: kodiak thoughts