Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 Grizzly will not stay in low gear

Old 12-31-2015, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Grizzly will not stay in low gear

The gear shift will go up into low but will not stay there unless I increase the RPM's slightly. Then it will go in nicely and stay. What may be causing low not to engage?
Thanks

Old 12-31-2015, 11:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your shift linkage might need adjusted. When I first got mine, it had a hard time going into low range. I had a local mechanic adjust it for me and it has worked fine since. I don't know exactly what he did but it worked.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks. I did adjust the linkage and seems to be improved although I'm not sure if what I did was correct....
What I did was loosen the two locknuts and moved the rod rearward so the front end has more travel. Does that sound right or did I just move the linkage and not the ends?

A little more info one this ATV.
This ATV was never used for snowplowing until just last week so low gear was not used much or maybe never.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like it helped. I'm sure low range was never used much on mine either. Unless you're plowing snow or pulling a heavy trailer, most people don't use low range much. I put mine in 4x4 limited slip and low range every time I load it on my truck and usually when I put it away in my shed. It gets used sparingly on a few short trails I ride on. To be perfectly honest, I don't know the exact procedure for adjusting it but if what you did helped, then it sounds correct. I guess there's some give and take because I can easily get my Grizzly into both high and low range, neutral and reverse but park, which is all the way the other way on the shift pattern at the bottom, is hard to get into sometimes. When hauling, I generally just leave it in low range and chock the front tires with a couple blocks of wood so it doesn't roll forward and ratchet strap the rear so it stays in place pretty well in the truck bed. With stock tires, it just barely fits lengthwise in the bed of a short bed Silverado, there's basically like an inch or 2 to spare but if I were to pull it forward until the tires hit the front of the bed, the bumper would touch the back glass, so a 2nd reason for the chock blocks in the front to keep my back glass from shattering.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

I'll see how she works after the next plow job and see if any more adjustment may be needed. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Range Rover

I've done it the same way iyou did. Sometimes its hard toget the adjustment correct for both low & park.