Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Banshee White'ish transmission oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Banshee White'ish transmission oil

Hi, I just started up my banshee today after sitting all winter and I checked my oil and noticed it had a kinda off white color to it, at first I assumed it was my coolant leaking into the oil but I checked my coolant and the level hasn't dropped at all, still completely full. Could this just be from condensation in the engine after sitting for so long? or is it definitely getting coolant in there some how? The bike is a 2003 with fmf pipes and UNI pod filters, those are the only mods on it. The bike runs and shifts perfectly with no leaks or anything like that.
I also noticed when I take off my oil dipstick some air pressure comes out of the case is this normal?

Here is a picture of the oil. Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails Yamaha Banshee White'ish transmission oil-white-oil.jpg  
Old 03-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Normal. Anytime a machine sets up or even if it doesn't condensation from the crank case vent,carb,etc can cause a thin film of moisture residue to settle at the top of the crank case. Had the same thing happen on a lot of machines over the years. Some watery film would be in the oil tanks,others on the crank case dip stick. Since it's running ok,Id just change oil and filter since it's been sitting.If in doubt you could always do a coolant pressure test.If it holds 7-10 psi,you're fine.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright thank you very much!

Old 03-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

You can also test for antifreeze. Send it to a lab, like Blackstone, or use my hillbilly sure fire method: put some on your finger and taste it. Least mite of antifreeze will make it taste sweet. Make sure you spit it all out, as it's poison and will kill off your brain cells, huh, what?

Old 03-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrex
or use my hillbilly sure fire method: put some on your finger and taste it. Least mite of antifreeze will make it taste sweet. Make sure you spit it all out, as it's poison and will kill off your brain cells,
You're lucky you're still alive old man. I guess the old saying is true: What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger..

Old 03-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

To me that looks like coolant in the oil and not just condensation film. Coolant in the oil will give it a chocolate milk appearance. You should also be able to drain some out and smell the oil and see if it has that antifreeze "celery" smell to it. The unfortunate part about coolant in the oil is it usually goes along with oil in the coolant. This tends to be much harder to clean out and coolant temp/level sensors will constantly be getting fowled in the future when a small film of oil resurfaces from some clandestine part of the engine.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

Id bet OPT is correct with condensation. Try to clean out the white the best you can and keep an eye on all the fluid levels and check for more new white residue and go from there.