Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 80 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 80 won't start

This one has been beyond me so far. Has not run since last fall (though I have only tried a couple times unsuccessfully to get it to start since then). Ran fine one day, the next would not start. And has not started since then.

Carb is cleaned (done that twice now, most recently this weekend). Gas is not bad. Battery is low, but not totally dead (and I've had it on a charger to try and start it lately as well 15amp/50/100 depending on where I turned the switch at the time. Its getting fuel. Valves are in spec (checked today). Airbox is on the problem. Starter fluid or carb cleaner made no difference spraying in the intake. All I can think of is the spark.

Plug is new, and I have the old one which is not fouled on hand as well. If I pull the plug and hold it up to a wrench or something metal, you can see it sparking. I have no idea if that means all that much or not. My brother in law had some timing tester light today that you can slip over the plug wire and the light flashes when you crank or while its idling. The light would not go off on the Grizzly 80. We put it on a Suzuki 50 and a Honda 300 and the light sat there and flashed with the ignition on each of those. So I'm wondering if its just too weak of a spark to fire the thing up. When cranking on it, every now and then you can get it to pop and turn over just a bit, but not much nor near enough to run. Sorry its so vague, but any ideas off of this info alone?

Old 04-28-2017, 01:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

In response to myself. Drained the tank, cleaned that mess out. Went through the carb once more, put back together and after a lot of cranking got this thing to run. But it will only run with the choke on and even then not for very long. Nailing this issue down to the carb which I've cleaned twice this week now. B-12 sprayed through everything along with blowing it all out with an air compressor. Put a rebuild kit in it a few years ago, everything but the float. Just about to buy a complete carb and say the heck with it. I bought this thing from someone that let it sit for nearly 5 years. Wondering if its got all kinds of buildup in it that carb cleaner and an air hose can't help.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

In the case that someone finds this by a search (since its only me that ever posted in it), problem was the carb jets. Went through all the tiny holes with a wire fiber from a piece of copper wire (used one of the strands) on the jets and this made the difference.

Morale of story, when you have the carb apart, instead of just spraying cleaner or compressed air through the jets, go ahead and run copper wire through all the holes while you have it apart just in case.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:14 AM
Range Rover

Glad you got your problem solved. My only sugesstion would of been a new carb kit beings it ran for a little while.