Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 700r clutch kicks in late when good

Old 05-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Bernhard Schmidt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 700r clutch kicks in late when good

I have had my raptir for a few months now and recently it started acting up. When it's cold the clutch kicks in late which means I'm trying it and it takes a while to get moving. When it's warm tho it works nicely. What can this be?
Please help

Old 05-10-2017, 07:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What type and weight oil are you using? Usually I have seen the opposite where the plates are grabby when cold. A smoked clutch will slip more as power is applied. If I were to take a guess, wondering if you are using a regular car oil like a 0 or 5w40?

Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Bernhard Schmidt

I use 10W-40 Lucas engine oil for wet clutches. I have been using it for a while now about 3 weeks or so. The engine also sputters when I pull a wheelie otherwise it runs great and revs up fast but as soon as the front wheels leave the ground it starts to sputter. This isn't making sense to me what can cause that?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Country Rider

Hmm. I have never had this problem before myself. At first I was just going to say the chain is loose, but when it warms up it runs fine..... I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the chain just in case but that wouldn't have anything to do with the wheelie problem. Sorry I couldn't help much, hope you can figure it out.