Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

96 banshee

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 banshee

Ok guys I have a problem with my bike last time I went to little Sahara I lost nearly all my clutch on the handle bars. I adjusted it enough to get back to camp when I got it home it only fires part of the time sometimes it will start up and run about 5 seconds then die like you killed it then it wont fire for 20 or 30 kicks then it might start firing again.When it does start it back fires bad. I've swapped coils from my other bike and nothing different. I've tested the coil and stator with ohms meter both show good but I've been told there is no way to test the cdi box. I've cleaned the carbs. I don't know what to do next I tried to swap cdi boxes with my other bike but it has different plugs. Also it seemed to start easier when I unplugged the on/off switch and plugged it back in. What do y'all think??

Old 06-17-2017, 05:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Edwards
Also it seemed to start easier when I unplugged the on/off switch and plugged it back in. What do y'all think??
Sounds like you found the problem. Clean the connections and pins with electrical cleaner,use some dielectric grease and see if that helps. If it doesn't may be time for a new switch.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I was going to swap switches with my 04 banshee but the connectors are different I will clean them up like you said and see what happens thanks again..