Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee vs. 400ex ?.?.?.? who will win?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF YOU HAVE TWO BONE STOCK QUADS (BANSHEE&400EX) WHICH WILL WIN IN THE TRAILS OR WHICH IS BETTER OVERALL?

Old 04-24-2001, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

I own both machines.....I will ride the 400ex in the tight trails anytime over the banshee. For me, the banshee and 400ex are both fun on the track. But I spent the time to make the banshee that way.
Stock for stock...the 400ex is easier to ride...taking much less effort to run in the tight stuff.
In a strait line...well...it's all over for the 400ex...really not much of a compare (though many will try to disagree)
You will find that both bikes are fun...But intended for different riding styles...otherwise, I would not have both of them.
Either way..you'll have fun. I'm just a bit dissapointed on the top end of the 400ex...seems like a dog...But aftermarket can help that for sure. (that electric start sure is nice though)And the ability to go slow or fast without fouling plugs.

Old 04-24-2001, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

This is the honest truth my bro has a banshee and i have a 400ex. we built this track pretty much flat land with some hard turns and some jumps. we are pretty close but usually I beat him. Now in a drag race he will eat me up on the road pretty good. But when i've raced him in grass or in a bean field about a 800 ft drag he cant touch me. By the way we are both bone stock.

Old 04-24-2001, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

dude a banshee would eat the 400ex alive in any drag race.

Old 04-25-2001, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Yes..I'm not contesting that you may have beat the banshee in a drag (there is sooo much more to racing than the machine itself). I would expect that you would have had an easier time beating him on loose pack with the EX.... I dream of drag racing where I can get traction...Like grass.
I absolutely destroy the EX in those conditions... But my banshee is not stock. Though I would not anticipate any problems with a stock banshee under the same conditions. Upon take off...the EX is usually looking at the stars...while the banshee is dialed in on the finish line. But I very rarely drag race anyway..thats not fun for me. The only time I get involved is when I run across someone on the trail with whatever type of quad that wants to do a compare...we do the race..and win or lose get back to my business of having fun.
If your ever up around my area...look me up. I'll bring you over to the local snowmobile grass drag strip. It's smooth flat and full of traction.
You can run full out all you want without any problems. Once in a while the guys will set up the gun. (from what I hear) I'm kinda anxious to see what my quad will do in a quarter mile. I do know that the sleds destroy all the quads for the most part.

Old 04-25-2001, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

Any drag race, no it wont. You said any dragrace which means variables from race to race. Put 18in turf tamers on a Banshee in sugar sand and you sit there and spin the tires while the 400ex hooks up. YES the Banshee is the faster quad with more hp and its a 2 stroke which makes more hp per cc but the Banshee also doesn't ride itself and sometimes if you make one mistake in a dragrace its all over. I have a dirtwheels article with a picture of a POLARIS beating a Banshee in a drag at a strip down South, it was a short strip which makes it tougher because it doesn't afford many mistakes. If you dont believe me i can tell you what issue it is in, i know i have it around here somewhere.

Old 12-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Banshee vs. 400ex ?.?.?.? who will win?

the banshee is sooo much faster than the 400ex!! i like the 400ex for trails and tracks but thats it. say it_fmf is right the 400ex's top end is boring.