Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

rode a bomb ds650 yesterday>>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yesterday while riding I met up with a guy I ride with once in a while. he has a ds650. He asked to ride my raptor and I rode his bomb a bit, he was on my raptor and I couldn't even begin to come even close to him and I was HAMMERING his ds. I realize I have many mods and he is stock but that thing is just plain big and slow with no throttle response.

One thing I did like is the SEAT! Talk about comfy! You could ride that thing all day and not have your azz hurt like on a raptor.

Old 05-29-2001, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

Of course you beat him! Your mod list is like a 16 year olds Christmas wish list. Suppose the DS rider put the same amount of $$ you did? Probably spank your ***.

Old 05-29-2001, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

dsEater,

Can you give us some details on how strong your bike is now compared to how it was?

Have you had a chance to line up with any really modded Banshees or ?

Is the power more low end or on top?

Lastly, did you have to do any extra clutch mods to hold the extra power and how much change was there in your gas mileage?

Thanks, I never caught your full review!

Old 05-29-2001, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe the 'Bomb isn't big & bulky, maybe it's just too much quad for some guys ???

I agree with MXZX. You can't even compare the DS & YOUR Raptor. I mean a big bore kit... come on be serious. I know what happens to a stock Raptor in a drag with a stock DS.

Old 05-29-2001, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

actually we raced when we were both stock and I beat him pretty bad he did start to catch up a bit top end. and yes he can ride good too. he talked me into racing with him. the track even has practice nights which I am trying tomorrow. I am more into X country than mx but am giving it a try.

I did ride all day sunday with a really modded shee. In the woods we were about even (although I didn't know the trails) it was a blast riding with him because we left the rest of the pack and really flew through through the woods all day. they even had some big jumps in the woods(which we hit at about 40mph haha) as far as an all out race he has absolutely no chance. my brother has a VERY modded shee and he can't touch me either, BUT if we're both at top end and really moving I can't pull away much. but I have a 42 tooth rear sprocket.

Yes I'd imagine a bomb would also fly with as many mods. It is however WAY more of a dog than a raptor stock VS. stock...

Old 05-29-2001, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

bash,

It is like the difference between a blaster and a banshee! I NEVER have been on a quad this fast. And I have had many modded banshee's that I used to race. the power hit is almost exactly like riding a 2 stroke and is all on the top end in each gear. I am using a barnett carbon fiber clutch set up. and barnett springs.

Old 05-29-2001, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

ds.....whatever....... I would love to meet up with you sometime. Nuf Said!

Old 05-29-2001, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

dsEater,
I saw your post and noticed how you refer to the ds as "slow". Now in all reality if you really wanted to compare your Raptor to a STOCK ds650 then thats you. In the real world, lets see a ds the big bore, cams, carb...and lets line up again and see what happens. I belive the 650 has much more potential in it then the raptor engin is capable of. In past magazine articals they have even compared the ds potential to a Yamaha Banshee's . I know this is just what you think of a STOCK ds, but now that i have a few things on my ds, and some races under my belt, i'v seen stock, modded and SUPER modded raptors race and i cant say i'm very pleased with the way the raptor rides. I had the oppertunity to ride a few and the raptor is anything but "better" than the ds. Its fast, but not FASTER than the ds, the ds has better suspension as far as i can see on the track and trail. The only advantage this raptor has is in the very tight spots in the woods. But in those tight spots, the raptor still has a 400ex, hell a 300/330ex to worry about. As far as cornering, the ds leads the way with the width. Yes the ds is alittle top heavy, but the raptor is the same height w/ less width. This is just my opinion just like that was just your opinion. All i'm saying, is stick the same amount of money in that ds and then lets play.

ryan
00 ds
district 23