ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Raptor serial number, I think we got a fresh one.. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/40826-raptor-serial-number-i-think-we-got-fresh-one.html)

fourlix 06-06-2001 12:40 PM

We love our new Raptor. But what a wait, almost 6 weeks. When it finally came, the dealer said he'd swapped it with another dealer in Sierra Vista, AZ who had 12 Raptors. Evidently Raptor allocation to dealers is based on how many Banshees they'd sold.

We were being very patient. I wanted a new one, with the new second gear, and maybe some other improvements. When I found out this was from Arizona, I was a little dissapointed, I didn't know how long it had been sitting around. I wanted a fresh one, even a 2002.

Then there was a post last week saying if your serial number is over 6,000 you have the new second gear. Our Serial number is 20,000 something. I think we got a fresh one.

Don't post your exact serial number, it might be like a credit card thing, maybe I'm just paranoid. Post your approximate serial number
and when you bought it and if you've had the second gear or carb blowing off problems. The serial number is on the frame near the left footpeg, there's a bunch of letters and numbers in front of the number. Let's see if we can establish some kind of time line for breakage and improvements.

swytak 06-06-2001 12:50 PM

Purchased in Sept 2000 and the last 4 digits are 24?? (twenty four hundred something).

Yes, I've had the tranny fixed!

arlan 06-06-2001 01:54 PM

I'm not sure I am understanding this SN stuff. If swytac has a 2000 model with SN 24?? and I am about to pickup a 2001 with SN 002193. Was the 2nd gear problem only for the 2000 models and in 2001 they start the last numbers in the SN over again. The entire SN on the 2001 I have sitting at the dealer is JY4AM01Y71C002193. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom. I would hate to purchase a problem child.

Thanks
Arlan

garyc660R 06-06-2001 02:17 PM

I pickup mine up last September. Mine # is in the low-low 1600's. I have had a lotta trouble with my carb's popping out of the boots. Realistically, part of the problem is my fault for not finding the correct flexible screwdriver (until recently) to adjust my idle circuit on my slightly modded set-up. The other part of the problem Yamahas for sending the stock machine off of the showroom floor with a lean idle circuit to start with. Besides that I have had no problems with my Raptor....uh..er..besides that deer that wound up on my lap.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

arlan 06-06-2001 02:20 PM

I just realized that I am looking at the vin # of the bike and not the SN. When I first noticed this topic the posts stated a vin # over XX6000, now people are talking SN. Does any one know which it is.

BansheeBrad 06-06-2001 03:11 PM

Serial Number and Vin should be the same thing.

What we have been comparing are the last 6 digits of the vin.

Mines 017392 (it's on the vehicle, anyone can see it, no reason to hide the last 2 digits), so I should have about the 17392nd raptor made.

I bought mine Mid April of this year, no problems yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And Yes, a 20,000 number would be fresh!!

Brad

arlan 06-06-2001 03:36 PM

I don't understand a Raptor being sold in June 2001 could have such a low # as the one they have for me. Should I refuse to accept it. The dealer told me they have never heard of this 2nd gear problem and that they called Yamaha and Yamaha said no such problem exists. Another coverup me thinks. Would not the 2001 models be squared away on this problem if it does actually exist. Again the # on this 2001 is 002193 any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Arlan

BansheeBrad 06-06-2001 03:48 PM

Arlan,

Sounds like it's been sitting around somewhere for a while... no way to be sure. I would ask them for a really good deal on a 3 year yamaha yes plan (like near free) or keep looking, but thats just me.

Brad

RoostKing 06-06-2001 04:19 PM

If I were you, I would find a different Raptor AND dealer. He is flat out lying too you on this tranny issue and will lie to you about anything. Sales weasel!!!

RoostKing...

fourlix 06-06-2001 05:01 PM

JY4AMO1321C020329 purchased 3 weeks ago. That's 20,000 right?
As for a Raptor with a 2400 serial number, I know What I'd do, find another one, or just wait for a 2002. The dealers are all lying, it's the corporate line. The Raptor is a great machine, and Yamaha is a good company, BUT ..Day Old Bread is usually Marked Half-Price !

It could be that any Raptor you can now buy either came with the new gear or has had it put in. They could easily have updated their stock without going to a full recall. Even Dirtwheels mentioned the problamatic transmission in the Great Shoot-Out, only Yamaha won't publicly admit to any problems, yet. They may just figure it's better to keep it quiet, and just fix everything. Meanwhile we as CONSUMERS can exchange a little information and be a little wiser, collectively.

Has anyone who has kept their Raptor bone stock blown off their carbs? Are Raptors now coming with bigger pilot jets?

Keep posting Serial numbers, problems, and purchase dates, let's figure this out.