Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

low end banshee pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for those of us that have low end pipes for there banshees give a quick review.....right now i run the moto fast pipes and silencers....but i have questions about the others on the market...like FMFs and the pro circuit

i like the moto fast but i want something that will a little more boost on the top end with out sacrificing the low end.......or what mods can i get to give me more top end without sacrificing the top end.....

thank you for the help

Old 06-14-2001, 02:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well it sounds to me as though you want the best of both worlds. I am sorry to say that I don't know of any mods that will give you more top or bottom end power that doesn't affect its counter part. I have owned a banshee for six years and love them. For bottom end power you can try reed spacers, gearing, pipes, tires, and the two into one carb. If you just want to get some ponies for the entire power band you can bore, try lighter pistons, cool head, and port and polishing. I hope that this is useful to you. The list of banshee mods is endless. I have tried reed spacers and they give a good bottom end boost but you will notice a loss at the top end. I have mine bored that gave it a nice boost throughout the power band if you can afford that do it. Good luck

Old 06-14-2001, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

should i increase the compression like with the cool domes....which one should i get...the 16cc is for more compression but my banshee is pretty much stock except for pipes

any suggestions

thanks

Old 06-14-2001, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

I would not take the chance with 16cc domes on a stock banshee. Go with 20's or 19's at most. Once you get that compression bumped up...you will have to run race gas. (19's)
I think anything over 19cc dome should be able to handle high test.

I opted for the fmf "wood" pipes and one less tooth on the front sprocket. Like mentioned, It is hard to get the best of both worlds. Even with the "woods" series of pipes, I am still plenty fast on the top end. Unless you live in a desert, How many times do you really get to open the banshee up for top speed? I like mine for jumping, mx and trail rides.

Old 06-14-2001, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Discharge,

When I had my Banshee, I had a couple of different pipes on it. The first was a set of LRD adjustable pipes and while it gave incredible gains in mid and top end, at the time I didn't feel like it did too much for the bottom. (After later comparing the Moto-Fast to the LRD, side by side with identical Banshees, it was easy to see that I had made a huge mistake. The LRD was stronger everywhere.)

I decided that since I mainly ride cross-country type riding, I would go with a Moto-Fast pipe. At the same time, I went ahead and geared down 1 tooth on the front sprocket. While I did notice the ability to lug it around the woods more, it took a lot of the "Banshee hit" out of the powereband and it just wasn't as fun to ride or as fast. I believe that I'd have been better off keeping the good dual pipes and just gearing down a tooth. With the Moto-Fast pipes and geared down 1 tooth, I was no faster, maybe even slower than a stock 400ex on top end, but was able to jump out ahead fairly easy and maintain it for the first 5 gears. However, it seemed that the 2-into-1 pipe caused it to sign off so early, that it wasn't able to really go much faster in 6th and that's when the 400ex would start catching up. My measured top speed with a Moto-fast pipe, no snorkel, 22" Holeshot rears, and 1 tooth lower sprocket to make up the tire radius difference, was right at 65 mph. In comparison, my Raptor with the same lower gearing and larger tires, no baffle or airbox lid and re-jetted has been measured accurately by a GPS at 73-75 mph several different times.

I talked with Jimmy, the designer of the moto-fast pipe and he said it was really designed to be used with a head modification that they do. I believe it amounts to raising the compression and reshaping the combustion chamber some. Another point of interest, with the Moto-Fast pipe, they recommend going DOWN on the jets compared to stock settings. That alone tells you that it is making less power, but the fastest isn't always the quickest, especially in the woods!

Old 06-14-2001, 03:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have gone down 2 teeth on the front sprocket, 22 inch tires on back, shaved my head .040 with FMF Fatties and it seems to be a really good combo. I can pull my friends banshee with Toomey's, 13 tooth front sprocket and 20 inch rear tires from the bottom to top. If you dont have the cash for the cool head, simply get yours milled like mine. I think that made a huge difference, probably the best bang for the buck mod out there. I do also run reed spacers and a boost bottle, but I dont know how much of an improvement they make. Later and good luck...

Old 06-14-2001, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

hey Sayit_FMF what do you think of the fmf pipes???

Old 06-15-2001, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

I will admit...I have not used anything else to compare the "fmf" pipes too. But I really like what they did for my banshee. I can still remember the day that the box came in. Pipes...jets...sprockets... I was convinced that these things alone could not possibly make a difference.
Man was I wrong. The banshee is a totally different beast once piped. It's a mod that you feel all at once, instantly. It did open the machine up across the range...just more low than high. But like I said above..this machine still has plenty of top speed. I actually took the silencers apart after about a year. They need repacking....But the overall sound is still not annoying. But louder than stock..for sure.
I think that any pipe you put on the banshee is going to make a noticable difference...It just a matter of where you want to feel that difference and more importantly, where you ride most often. That's what you want to set your bike up for.
I would love to spend the money on a nice new shiny set of pipes. (mine are starting to show some use) But this bike is running so good right now.... I'm having the time of my life every weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2001, 03:48 PM
Range Rover

My cousin has Paul Turner midrange pipes on his '99 Banshee and i have to say these things rock. His top speed is about the same, but the thing gets there much faster than stock. For the riding that we do( fast trail, hillclimbing, etc.) these pipes are great. These pipes have a nasty hit when they hit the powerband [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2001, 04:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the Paul Turners are "pretty" nice, with emphasis on pretty. I have a friend who bought them thinking they were the best, only to be sorely dissapointed (pissed actually) when he was getting smoked by me and my friends FMF's. I think he paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $650 dollars for them. I think they are way overpriced, as I got a whole power package for $550 that included FMF Fatties, boost bottle, reeds, and reed spacers. If you have ever looked at them real close, you can see the pipe leading from the cylinder is quite small and not much bigger than stock. Yes I would agree with Grim that they are better than stock, but in my experience, there are other pipes out there that are cheaper and run much better. The chrome sure is pretty though, although chrome dont get you home!!!!

Just my opinion and what I have experienced.