Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

If you want a new 2-Stroke than read this!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I was thinking and came up with an idea. Alot of people want a new 2-Stroke quad. Well chances are that we are not going to get one unless we build it ourselves. So we all need to get toghether and think up some plans for a new 2-stroke. We could take a frame like a 250R or something like that, do some stuff to make it better and than put a motor in it. I read in Dirtwheels that there is a company that is making 250 two-stroke motors and we could use these to pwer the quad. I know this sounds like it will never happen but if anyone would be interested in it post. If you have any experience in frames and motors and all that good stuff than post if you would want to do this. Also, people that would help us financially. I don't want to hear any negative comments so if you are going to do that, b!tch out the companies for not building us a 2-Stroke.

Old 06-16-2001, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah and you could save money on the frames by getting that dude in the "hospital bed A arms" posting to weld up some parts out of recycled beds.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
I'm not bustin' your chops man but there is no way they're gonna build another 2 stroker like the Banshee or the revered 250R. We'll just have to hang on to what we've got til the parts run out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2001, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer

hey i dont mean to sound like a pestimist but i think that people are already doing this, u know buying motors off 2 strokes and putting them in other frames, and wouldnt u think we need oh say about 32473728743285million dollars to start a companmy to do this?

Old 06-16-2001, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

Indeed, it is a very good idea. How would you propose to build a quad? Would you use aftermarket frames and suspenders, or build a frame yourself? You mentioned a motor supplier; are they a reputable company? The prototype vehicle wouldn't be difficult to construct. The idea of mass producing a machine is another thing altogether, however. Several difficult obstacles would have to be overcome: facilities, suppliers, the E.P.A. and cost just to name a few. This idea has bounced around in my head for some time as well. You see people pulling this off all the time but always on a much smaller scale.

Old 06-16-2001, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Rotax is still cranking out 2 strokes, pick your displacement from 100cc's to well over 1000cc's...Most have powervalves to boot...Singles, doubles, triples-you name it...

Old 06-16-2001, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

I would like to know what the companies name is that make the motors. How hard would it be to put it in a mojave frame.

Old 06-16-2001, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Bombardier's division is Rotax...Rotax is the manu of Sea-Doo and Ski-Doo powerplants.

$$$$ There are better frame options to spend that much money on custom powerplants...

Old 06-16-2001, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Unless Kawasaki comes out with a KXF250 within the next couple years, I plan on building what the factories won't.I planned on getting an aftermarket Rolling chassis (I talked to a manu and he quoted me a price of $5500) I'm not talking an all out racer with High $$$$$ shocks and all the expense that goes along with it, just something comparable to what a new stock machine would be like.I am possibly going to butcher my RM and use the motor from it, or pick up a mid to late 90s 250.I figure it can be done for about what a new bike would cost.LT I'm sure if you garnered enough interest to bring a manu enough buisness, they would build a rolling chassis to suit you.They are pretty much all very trick and cost to the wind set ups, where something similiar to a factory stock machine would work great for a recreational rider and cost alot less.I'm still searching for a place to find good deals on motors..

Old 06-16-2001, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

there is another company producing 2 stroke motors. and better yet they meet the 2004 pollution bill thingy.

Old 06-16-2001, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

The motor to use would be a 1988 Kawasaki tecate engine with a 87 kx250 crank and rod and a 2000-2001 kx250 cylinder and head. Stock this puts out around 48hp with out porting or headwork. Works real trick. Had the same set up in a tecate and it rips!

Quick Reply: If you want a new 2-Stroke than read this!!!!