Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

most Progressive manufacturer...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At one time, I would give the nod to Polaris: IRS, auto etc. But presently, I would have to say Yamaha is most in tune with what the customers want and Kawasaki a close 2nd. They've always had nice features compared to most and one of the most reliable in my opinion. Some would say they copied Polaris, which they did on the auto and IRS, but Yamaha always takes it a step further and improves it. Yamaha stands by their bikes also, in most cases. The Kodiak has been excellent for a first year quad, so hopefully it will be the same for the new Griz.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] What do you guys think??

Just acquired a 94 Polaris 300 4x4 (stinken 2-stroke), but nice as a 2nd bike.

Old 06-16-2001, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

What do you mean, "stinken 2-stroke"?! Two-strokes not only SOUND better, but they produce more power, and are much more acceptable to modifications than 4-strokes.

Four-strokes are "stinken" economy engines!

Old 06-16-2001, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

I mean exactly what I said...they stink as in smell of the smoke. Don't get me wrong, I like the power they have. You don't have to smell it as long as your riding it!!

Old 06-16-2001, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Ahh, but you see, I'm an avid snowmobiler, therefore I LOVE the smell of 2-stroke exhaust.

As for smelling it while you're riding it... I never seem to have that problem... perhaps its that I always shut my engine off whenever I come to a stop and plan to stay stopped for a while.

Old 06-16-2001, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

....i DISAGREE. Does Yamaha Stand by there Raptors????? Tranny probloems???? I thought not.

Old 06-16-2001, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Come on Yellow Raptor! There is nothing wrong with the 2001 Raptor tranny! They just changed the ratio's on the 2002 for better all around performance![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] To all of you who have bent or broke your axle, there is nothing wrong with it either, they just put a re-designed one on the 2002 for something to do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]! I'll give Yamaha credit for the fact that they are the first to answer another manufacturers quad with one of their own. I just wouldn't buy it in it's first year of production. Seems they may rush things a little bit. Where did the new grizz come from so fast? It is reported that the Prairie V-Twin has been in development for 3 years. It leaked out about a year ago and all of a sudden Yamaha releases the 660 Grizz. They weren't in a hurry to keep the claim of biggest 4x4 ATV were they?? Just some food for thought.

Old 06-17-2001, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

i have noticed alot of the fourstroke guys complaing of that 2 stroke smell. i'm surprised they haven't started complaining about all the dust that the 2's kick up in the faces either. i personally love the 2 stroke smell but i guess its just my opinion.

Old 06-18-2001, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

No offense intended on the smell of 2-stoke. This Polaris I now have actually doesn't smoke much at all but I've rode behind a few Polaris's that do. As far as performance, it can't touch my Kodiak in speed etc., except maybe mudding.

Old 06-18-2001, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

I would have a hard time giving the "Most Progressive Award" to anybody other than Cannondale or Bombardier.

Think about it, both companies pretty much broke the mold when it comes to ATV design. Bomb with their walk-through design Traxter and semi-race ready DS650 with styling unlike ANY other ATV.

Then there is Cannondale. In their first run of production ATVs, they come out with something no other manufacture has been willing to do for ATVs. Basically, they have built the highest tech (EFI) motor with the compression of a pure race engine and the most exotic quad frames built, bar none even the aftermarket makers.

The big boy ATV makers have the technology and could come out with designs that would stomp anything either of those two makers build, but Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki all cater to the masses and what they think will make a quick buck. Certainly Cannondale and Bombardier are in it to make a good profit too, but they don't let the design suffer to the bean counters nearly as bad as the others, they just charge a little more.

I've close to $10,000 worth of Raptor sitting around and can't even plan on going riding without wondering when my clutch will fry again or if my tranny will lock up. Sure, after all the mods, it's really an awesome quad (for now), but it's a shame that Yamaha dropped the ball when it comes to the 2001 Raptor owners. My Banshee was outdated and rode like a wagon, but one thing for sure was that if I took care of the maintenance, it wasn't going to break down out on the trail, no matter how hard I pushed it or abused it for that matter.

What was this post about anyway? I get a little stirred up when I think about it if you can't tell. If the Cannondale had an extended warranty, I'd be an EX-Yamaha owner already.

Uh, this'd be the wrong post to try to sell my Raptor.... don't you think?
I'll just end up keeping it I'm sure, but I'll remember the love Yamaha's showed to all of us when I buy my next quad. When I'm riding my Raptor, I love it. When I think about they way Yamaha has done, well you get the point.

Old 06-18-2001, 02:35 PM
87r
Range Rover

I agree that Yamaha is indeed the most progressive company right now. What they have done with their YZF lineup of MXers is awesome. At the racetrack I race there are YZ426's EVERYWHERE and quite a few YZF 250's as well. Before Yamaha came out with that bike even the idea of a thumper that could run with a two stroke was laughable. Yamaha made that idea work (even if it still takes double the displacement). Honda is just now coming out with a CR450F to compete but it is still three years too late.

Also, Yamaha has the killer R-1 and R-6 street bikes that were arguably ahead of their time.

They have the Raptor which may have a few teething problems but is still unquestionably an awesome machine.

THey also had the ***** to keep making a two stroke quad like the Banshee. Are you listening, Honda???

No matter what category you choose, Yamaha has an able competitive model in that market.

It seems that Yamaha always acts, and Honda always RE-acts.

Quick Reply: most Progressive manufacturer...