Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

300ex or Blaster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey yall, the blaster is AWSOME in the trees. The lil 2-Stroke pumping out mad power and the light chassis flying through the trees. If you are in a revers needed spot tail-whip it or do a 180. Remeber, it is really light. Also the blaster has much better suspention. IF you always get a blaster up on 2 wheels in a turn just lean over or slid the back end around by goosing it.

106mph- I agree, blaster do not get respect. I mean, yes stock blasters are kinda week with a lil power. Buy a cheap pipe and then it will fly.

I BEG to differ with you RedRage300EX, with the 2-Stoke the blaster is fine on twisty trails. I mean it runs great at EVERY RPM. Not one problem. Put-Put- or Rip-rip the blaster is happy to be there. Also if you are worride about mixing gas the blaster has oil Injection. Fill it up with oil and gas, and the blaster will do all of the work for you!

Old 07-09-2001, 06:06 AM
Trailblazer

Read my post in the Honda forum version of this question!!http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...65&start=1

Old 07-09-2001, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Blaster96, the 300EX has better suspension not the Blaster. The Blaster's suspension is stiffer and doesn't give as good of a ride as the 300EX. The 300EX is a great all around machine and so is the Blaster, but I think the 300EX is just a little better. And why does everyone say the Blaster doesn't get respect? Like the 300EX does? Everytime I see a post about comparing a 300EX to a 400EX most people say that they should get the 400EX because it has more power and handles better and that real men don't need reverse. Well when those people who don't need reverse are in there 50's or so and walk hunched over I guess they will have learned there lesson.

Old 07-09-2001, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

don't forget about the blaster's brakes!!!........or lack there of.....

Old 07-09-2001, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

LiLpLaYa-are you buying it new?
If you are go for the blaster. With the money you save from buying a cheaper quad, you can fix the flaws of the blaster. Get banshee front shocks off ebay with a 250r rear shock. It works and will handle much better. If you are good at metal work you can make your own hydraulic disk brakes front and rear. Throw in a little motor work and you'll have a better all-around quad.

Old 07-11-2001, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Dirt-

That is true. The blaster is a Cheap quad with any quick and easy cheap mods for it. My blaster (stock) brakes work fine. No Problem. Just get some EBC pads. Also the blaster is esayer to work on, you dont have to adjust the timming, the valves, and cam chain. If you do a complete engine overhaul the blaster will be much cheaper. Turst me on that.

01TRX300EX-
The blasters suspention will last much longer than the 300ex becuase it is stiffer. It is made for people who wont to get outta first gear. in 2nd it will soak up every little bump with ease. I ride my blaster through the toughtest trials out here and then race it just as hard. Now. At the races the guy on 400exs wanted to know what i did to my blaster to make it keep up. Pipe, secilencer, reeds, and piston. Now if you added Head pipe, scielncer, and hi comp. piston in a 300ex would it keep up with the 400ex's like my blaster did????

Old 07-11-2001, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

My reply has to be the old 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke piece. You have a 2 stroke now(blaster). You are thinking of trading it in for a 4 stroke(300 EX) The 300 EX will handle better than the Blaster because of the better shocks but you might be dissapointed with the acceleration of the 4 stroke.
I know once I went to a 4 stroke nothing could replace that acceleration of the 2 stroke motor. The choice is now up to you. If you could take one for a spin your decision might be a whole lot easier. Just don't rush into any decision. I'm sure the 300 EX will be around for awhile. Ride while you think about it!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2001, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

<< My reply has to be the old 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke piece. You have a 2 stroke now(blaster). You are thinking of trading it in for a 4 stroke(300 EX) The 300 EX will handle better than the Blaster because of the better shocks but you might be dissapointed with the acceleration of the 4 stroke.
I know once I went to a 4 stroke nothing could replace that acceleration of the 2 stroke motor.
>>

Good post, funny thing is, I was always scared of 2-strokes because I diddnt want to blow them up, now its TOTALLY the opposite, I'll ride a 2-stroke any day w/o fear, throw me on a 4-stroke and I'm an old gram'ma putting along praying that I dont kill it...

Old 07-11-2001, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Faster? The blaster in almost all situation. More Refiened? 300ex. Just look at the difference's, and you will see where the low price comes from. Personally, what would I take between the two? The blaster, definately. It's just my tastes. I love flying down tight trails, contantly tossing a blaster around and getting air off of every little imperfection in the trail, it's just how my friends and I ride. I have more ride time on 300ex's and Blasters than i'd like to admit., and can easily say that they are from completely different worlds. Plus, the fact that with a little cash for pipe, reeds, and porting, a blaster can hang with a stock 400ex could sway my vote. Do I seem suprisingly bias to the yamaha being a honda guy? Could it have something to do with having once owned a blaster? Sure, and if I wasn't getting an 'R next season, I would buy another one and set it up for racing.

Old 07-12-2001, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

That was a good un-biased post.. I wish more people with EXPERIENCE would give their opinion Vs. somebody that has little to no experience on the machine... Honestly I've never heard ANYBODY say &quot;that thing is a small and underpowered piece of junk&quot; after they have actually ridden one, most people are dumbfounded on how that lil' machine does what it does...

Quick Reply: 300ex or Blaster?