Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Air Filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for some advice on a stock replacement Air Filter. At this time I am considering K&N, UNI or just cleaning and sticking w/ the stock Yamaha filter.

Some people have told me if I want my engine to last a long time don't purchase a K&N because they are designed more for street use than offroad. Is there any truth to this? I have used K&N on my old 1987 250X and in my mind performance improved and never resulted in any engine problems.

I'm not looking to do serious airbox mods at this time such as replacing or drilling holes, Etc.

It is time to clean or replace the original stock filter so I thought I would see what others have found out on this topic.

Most of my riding is at Silver Lake Sand Dunes, and some trails that can get kind of dusty.

Looking for pro's/con's of each type or if I should just clean and stick w/ the stock setup for now.

Can the type of Air Filter make a drastic difference in performance?

Please Advise,

Jason

Old 07-10-2001, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the filter providing performance gains, but rather have a filter set-up that I don't have to wonder if it's doing it's job!

I too, ride in extremely dusty areas and would not even consider using a K&N filter. The Uni dual stage filter does a much better job at filtering the air in dusty conditions then the K&N. I know some use the K&N with an outwears, but I still prefer the Uni dual stage in dusty conditions.

The biggest problem with filtration for the Raptor is the poor design of the airbox. You never really know if the filter is seated properly because the lid holds the filter. In this instance you have two choices, go with the ProFlow kit for $100.- or go with a Graydon for $225.-(or similar) new airbox that will allow you to clamp-on a filter. The problem with the ProFlow is too doesn't seat the best without some extra precationary measures. Most guys I ride with that use the ProFlow have caulked around the plate to ensure the plate has a tight seal and won't suck dirt. The Graydon airbox or similar is a bit pricey, but you get total assurance that the filter is doing it's job and will allow you to use either the K&N or foam type filter (Uni).

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to explain to you "my thoughts" as to what can be done to ensure your motor is safe from contaminants.

Hope to have helped!

Old 07-10-2001, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

The Pro Flow system is the best to keep dirt out.
I have been using Pro Flow since 1994 in al my Banshee's and now in my Raptor.

Paul

Old 07-10-2001, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go w/ UNI as a stock replacement for now and consider a new Air box at some point in the future.

Haven't had any problems with the stock filter it just is starting to look bad and I figured it would be worth upgrading instead of cleaning. UNI atleast better than stock for filtration or just the same?

I'll consider your recomendations for air box mods in the future when I'm certain I'll keep the bike long term.

I apologize for my ignornace but I don't understand the airbox problem about telling if the filter is seated properly w/ out the airbox lid on. I have heard this from others and also heard people say Yamaha has a poor airbox design since the Banshees, etc.

What should I look for? or expect to happen? Is this the "I open my airbox and the filter is totally off just laying in the airbox" Heard a few cases like that but never had it happen yet.

Thanks Again,

Jason