Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee stock rear shock...how far is it from a Ohlins??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Well...I busted my shee's rear shock...and it's time for a rebuild. I'm gonna do it myself since I can have a pressurized azote can, and my dad really knows it.

I have heard that the banshee shock is a Ohlins body...is this true or just me dreaming?? If it is indeed a Ohlins body, is the rod also "made in Ohlins"? Can I just get the washers and seals from Ohlins (if anyone know a good place to buy these things from in Quebec, you're welcome) to make it a good shock? Is there more involved into this conversion(spring, rod...etc) or is it almost simple (like changing seals and washers).

Thanks for any input on this (PS I know most shock manufacturers can do a conversion...jus like doing things myself...and I'm a Ohlins fan...just love the gold shocks)

Old 07-17-2001, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

Zorro! Don't waste your time with the stock shock! It's not EVEN close to being an Ohlins shock. I had my stock rear shock redone, and regretted wasting the money. It still sucked. I have Ohlins suspension on my Banshee, and they are awesome! Expensive, but awesome. Best money ever spent on suspension. The quality is top notch as well. Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2001, 10:58 AM
Range Rover

i had ohlins all the way around on my r and they totaly sucked off of big landings,but they rode like a cadilac on the small stuff,i would get a pro to do it , but race tech sells that gold valve kit, and it comes with the washers and seals, i think it is atv specific so you could change it up to ride how ever you wanted to, ohlins makes the shocks for the banshee and the raptor,and with the right tuning of the shims, you could probably get the ride you are after, i was thinking of getting a guy to change the oil in my shocks, he said it was easy,if it works out, let us know cause a shock service is expensive,as compared to doing it your self