Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice that my Raptor dips pretty hard in the front end when cornering at a good speed. Do I need to stiffen up the factory shocks a notch or two? I weigh in at 200 lbs. I tend to ride sitting more towards the front, this works good for sliding the rear around on stock tires. Do I need to lean more into the turn or ride further back in the seat?

Old 07-17-2001, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe you should try sitting back on the seat further or leaning to the inside around turns. If it stills dips down on the corners I would stiffin the shocks up. Like I said just try a few different things to see what best fits you.

Old 07-17-2001, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

I adjust my shocks for the landing after a jump and for the whoops. Once I'm satisfied with those results then I adjust my body weight to make the quad run and corner correctly.
If your shocks are set to handle 200 lbs. after the largest jump you might take or through the whoops at the fastest you would travel then you need to move your weight around. That is why a quads seat is so large. Not to handle 2 riders, it is for the driver to move their weight around. If you're comfortable riding while sitting forward, do it. Just push yourself back in the seat when setting up for a turn. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2001, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

Do you know what the weight to notch ratio is for the front shocks? What notch position does the front shocks have to be set for 200 lbs? Also is there a special tool I need to buy to adjust the shock position?

Old 07-17-2001, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

The front shocks on the Raptor are terrible for anything other then casual riding. I weigh 220lbs with the fronts adjusted to the max I could very easily bottom out on small jumps. I would adjust them to the stiffest position and save your money for a pair of aftermarket shocks with compression adjustability.

I bought a pair of the Elka triple rate fronts with remote res that are compression adj and have a self sagging device which allows them to set approx 2" lower. I went this past weekend and tested them at a ride area and they soaked up everything I could throw at them. They are much smoother through the small stuff and soak up the big hits even better! If you look at this web site w w w.q u a d s h o p a t v .c o m he sells them cheaper then anyone else and stands behind his word, ask for Marty if you call.

Old 07-17-2001, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

Swytak, where did you mount the remotes?

Old 07-17-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

If you like Elka's. Call them directly. you'll save a few hundred dollars. Ask for Martin. don't let the french accent fool you...this guy knows his stuff. You might want to ask him his opinion on flipping the linkage while you got his ear...interesting insight. And if you purchase be sure to let him know if you will be using your quad in the snow. he uses a diffrent oil.And let him know Andy K sent ya...i could use a discount on my rear shock.

Drive Fast. Take chances.

Old 07-17-2001, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

01Raptor660R,

I have only had them on since Friday night, but I currently have them mounted on the top frame rail, just under the gas tank. I'm unsure if I'm going to leave them there, but I might see if there is a better spot. It seems where I have them they might get pretty hot.

Old 07-17-2001, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

I went out and took a look at them on the web and they show two different ones, one with the res piggy back and one detached. I wasn't sure which ones you had. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2001, 02:49 AM
Range Rover

The factory shoks suck thats why they are replacing them all every one that tested it said the front dived in corners its not your fault its Yamahas (not bad mouthing Yamaha(I love Yamaha))but it was the first year and they did have a few bugs that im happy to say they did fix...

Go Yamaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Raptor Handling