Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 Grizzly ,, Check your toe-out, mine was an inch!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite the big tires and widetrack improvements there was just still something kinda squirrly about the new Grizz. I figured Yamaha wouldn't let it go without a good alignment, unlike my DS which was way out too. But I figured I was just spoiled by the sport quad's handling, now massaged to perfection. But I thought I would check the toe-in or toe-out, especially after noticing how much it would turn on a straight road just by shifting my weight from one side to the other. Out? WAY OUT!! 1" of toe-out!! no wonder!! Well, 5 minutes, a tape measure and a 13mm wrench solved that, and the funny lug tires are really easy to use a tape measure on. I just set it as close to zero as I could get it. (That's an even measurement across the front of the front tires as compared to across the back of the front tires, adjusted by the tie rods, keep your handlebars straight.)
Huge difference, I'm still waiting for the Douglas front wheels, 12x7, which should arrive today. Only 1" more offset than stock, but spacers are only 1.5", so I went with the wheels to match the 12x8 Douglas .190's in back.(inverted or the rear track is 53", and yes the valve stems clear everything.) The final product should be 47" wide in front (using the back 10" tires) and 49" in back with the Spidertrax 25"x12.5"x12".[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-27-2001, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with my '01 kODIAK. If you have the stock tires you may notice a red stripe running around the tire in the middle of the tread. This is the mark my dealer advised me to use when measuring & setting the toe. Worked like a charm. Nop guesswork. I guess that Yamaha could use some quality control at the suspension section of their assembly line.

Old 07-27-2001, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

Fourlix-
I sure don't mean to tell a fella his business, but after my last wreck on the 'Cat, fixing cv joint and both ball joints, my left front was sticking a couple inches outside the fender with the handlebars strait, and the right tire facing forward. When aligning the thing, I asked the dealer about anything to watch out for, or not-do, to screw it up. He said must make sure you DON'T set it even, that it needs about 1/4" toe-out, to keep it tracking strait. I guess if it's perfectly strait, it CAN have a tendency to "dart" on you from side to side when you're not paying attention. I'm sure all machines are different in this aspect, and you probably already knew that, but just thought I might mention it if you didn't, hopefully save you an accident if it did happen!

Sorry to bother ya, hope that new Griz works out just like you hoped,

Mike

Old 07-27-2001, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Well I hear you Cowboy, and that is the right thinking, but a little toe-out is better than a lot. I figure with a tape measure I'm not getting that close anyway, so shooting for even and erring on the side of toe-out is a good way to go. On the DS with the adjustable TimmyBoy A-arms I'm messing with caster, camber and toe-in/toe-out, so I've been messing with this some. The DS and a lot of other quads come with some toe-in, that's really nuts, 'cause when you shift your weight to the outside it cuts in the other way. I've got about an 1/8" toe-out on the DS and probably about that much on the Grizz, on which I did more of a quick and dirty alignment job with a tape measure off the tire lugs. I used my utility trailer as an alignment rack to do a tighter job on the DS, but I think just a smidge of toe-out, just a smidge of camber(1 degree) and a whole lot of caster (9 degrees)handles best.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
And hey Cowboy, thanks for writing, it's kinda crazy over here in yamahaland, I remember those laid back Arctic Cat Forum days. The best thing about Arctic Cats are the guys that ride them. You guys are the best, you'd really like this new Grizz.

Old 07-28-2001, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Had the same problem with the Warrior when I got it from the dealership. I had over a 1/2" of toe out. Fixed now but Yamaha should really buy a tape measure for the guys on the assembly line!

Old 07-30-2001, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

Fourlix-
Hey, Thanks for the kind words Man! Yeah, I figured you knew better, but just the same, didn't want to take any chances! When I tried pulling mine off the trailer with the toe-out so bad, I damn near flipped it off the top, as it tried pulling so hard, it wouldn't stay on the ramps! Driving it like that was next to impossible. Anyway, after hearing what the dealer said, I used the tape measure on mine, adjusted it with 28 1/4" up front, with 28" even in the rear, from inside rubber to inside rubber at as near the same location as possible. Funny thing is, it tracks better now than it did when I first got it. Leads me to believe it was set wrong from the factory, as it would always pull hard left if I let go of the handlebars. Now, she shoots strait as an arrow with no hands, just idling out.

As for the crazy stuff over here in Yammy land, yeah, I know what you mean. Have had a lot of time on my hands lately with no job, been reading quite a bit of the other forum boards (honda, yammy, etc.), AC definately is the most laid back group-I like it that way! Andy's had his new Griz for a while now, sounds like he's really happy with it. I'm sure for a "sportier" ride, I'd love it too, but I think for all the log work I do, I still prefer a strait axle-the 'Cat works great for that. Would sure like to try that new Griz someday though-looks like a sweet machine! Glad you enjoy yours so much-well, now that you got it all fixed up to your liking anyway!

Anyway, take care man, we miss your ingenious little tips and tricks over there every now and then! heh heh heh Best of Luck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Mike