Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Excessive play in steering???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on there Raptor.
I was in stalling my dynojet kit today and noticed excessive play in the steering and very noisy front suspension. Let me know what you guys are finding if anything. I haven't really got into it yet. But it seems like the play is coming from a loose pitman arm (where the tie rods connect). Later

Old 07-28-2001, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

maby your bushings are $hit??? im not shure about yuor sqeeky susp though???

Old 07-29-2001, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

i have the same problem but then again my pitman arm is bent all out of shape from a wreck i had, and it did it before it was bent, so I dunno but I'd like some info too!

Old 07-29-2001, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider

My steering system has alot of play also. I, too, traced it back to the tie rod ends. It is most likely the bushings, but it is still annoying...

Old 07-29-2001, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

well if you havent checked the nut at the bottom of the steering stem check it. everyone that has a raptor that i know of has had it loosen up. i beleive it is a 22mm nut. by all rights it should be a castle nut but it isnt. could be changed very easily. once mine loosened up and i retightened it it has never came loose again. i check it periodically though. i think you will find that to be the problem. and oh yeah my suspension is noisy too. was on my ol banshee also. just some yamaha characteristics!

Old 07-29-2001, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Try this:

1) Replace the four upper a-arm bushings with bronze bushings. You can get them for around $6.00 each. These bushings are the same as for the Warrior and Banshee. Do this whether you think it needs it or not. It is cheap and way better than the factory plastic ones. You have to look closely to see movement in the upper a-arm when turning the bars from side to side. But if there is any movement then it is multiplied by the time it reaches the bars. By the way, it helps to have someone slightly turn the bars back and forth while you hold one of the tires in place to see the play in the bushings.

2) The squeak is probably coming from the upper steering shaft bushing. Insert some grease in the upper bushing around the clamp near the top part of the steering shaft. You can either insert the grease with a needle fitting on the end of the grease gun or take the front-end plastic off to get the whole assembly apart. If you have movement when pushing the bars forward and backwards and side to side, then this bushing is worn. I don't recommend wasting you money replacing it. The new one will wear just as bad in about 4-5 hours of riding. Learn to live with this play until an aftermarket bushing comes out.

3) Make sure the bolt at the bottom of the steering shaft is tight. Check it with a torque wrench if you can.

4) Check the tie-rod ends. If they are bad, purchase the Ricky Stator setup.

If none of these fix your problem, let us know.

Old 07-29-2001, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick help. I got about a full turn out of the
steering shaft nut and yes it is a 22mm. That took care of the play in the steering. As for the noisy susp. I found that too. I moved the front shock around and the noise is gone. It seems that the bottom of the shock moves around a bit and causes metal to metal contact with the a-arm. Doesn't really bother me though I have a set of Elka's on order from the Quad Shop.
Luckily I got my service manual yesterday which should help a little.
I did the dynojet kit also. so I'll let you know how it works for those who don't know. later