Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi please read this topic to help me and my brother out with his 1999 warrior.

His warrior starts after being tow started behind a truck. and it wont rev but will start and bog(wont rev but will idle). it BLOWS OIL out the exhaust. A few people we talked to said it was pistons and rings.

so we are going to attempt to change the pistons and rings, to save a lot of money. Can someone please give me directions or try to help me out on this one. We will appreieciate any help that is given. Please put any tips, or comments in this forum post.
thank you very much for any help.

Old 08-06-2001, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

Did it run OK prior to this? Was there engine knocking noise? Do you think the engine blew up? How much oil/gas is in the crankcase?

Drain the crankcase and do a compression check. After I get these answers I'll try to assist. Don't tear down yet.

Old 08-07-2001, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

yes it has ran perfect before this. when it ran there was no engine knocking noise, and like i said it does idle after a pull start. im pretty sure that the engine did not blow up becuase it idles. i am not sure how much oil/gas is in the crankcase. but what will i need to do a compression check. thank you for your time RAPTECH and i hope you can assist me further. thanks again

Old 08-07-2001, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

Sometime, if the machine sets with the gas valve (on the tank) ON, some fuel can seep past the carb and into the engine until the engine crankcases become full of gas/oil. When you spin the engine, the fluid (looks like thin oil) will overflow from the crankcase breather and into the airbox, engine and start coming out of exhaust, etc.

The engine will run but can not rev up because there's too much pressure in the crankcase. Just to be sure, drain the engine oil and put fresh oil in. When trying to start, don't pull it or push start because if something is binding, it'll cause severe engine damage. Always try to start with the starter (I hope your battery is good).

Did the engine smoke a lot prior to this? Was anything done (tune up, valve job, etc) prior to this?

Old 08-07-2001, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

i have drained the oil twice. and we start it with the starter, it will turn over after a while on the starter. but does the same thing. i have drained the gas. changed the plug.

Old 08-09-2001, 12:28 AM
Range Rover

What do you mean by engine will turn over after a while? After charging the battery?

Does it start and idle? Is there abnormal engine noise, knocking, grinding, etc? Is it smoking?

I wish I could be there to hear it 'cause I can figure this out. It's just tough trying to diagnos over the line.

What is the history with this machine? Did it all of a sudden do this?

Help me out so i can help you.