Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor & Hill Climbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no clue about that so sorry!!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2001, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

When I get mine I will drag a 2001 and let you know the results!!!
But I wont get mine for a while!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2001, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

thanks anyways

Old 08-07-2001, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sometimes "longer legs" (aka2001 Raptor) might be better in a race because you are in the power more & shifting less. Just a thought. Gears that are too close might suck too. 1st, 2nd & 3rd would be too close.
I guess time will tell.

Old 08-07-2001, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Due to the tighter gear ratio between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, the 2002 model will be better on the mx track. 2001 Raptor owners can purchase the new gear set at the end of October. Not sure what the charge will be for installing them. As mentioned many times before on this forum, it is a wait and see if this fixes the much talked about but never publicized trans problems.

Since it is impossible to modify your gearing without either loosing top end for low end or low end for top end, I would recommend going to a 43 tooth on the rear instead of a 12 on the front. It is still a cheap fix even if it is a little more expensive than buying a new front sprocket. A smaller front sprocket will eat power since the chain is forced into too tight of a circle (anyone who has switched knows the chain makes lots more noise even when cleaned and lubed all the time). A 12/40 combo (3.33 ratio) is almost identical to a 13/43 combo (3.31 ratio). Truth be told, your hill climbing problem is going to be difficult to overcome. It sounds like you are trying to climb some really steep hills that require some skill in getting around trees and obstacles; otherwise, you would be hauling A$$ up the hill in the meat of the powerband - and there wouldn't be a problem since the engine makes plenty of HP in the meat of the powerband. Sounds like you need to go faster than 1st can handle but not as fast as 2nd requires to be in the meat of the powerband of the stock engine setup. The only way to really overcome this is too beef up the engine to gain low end torque. It is going to take at least an aftermarket pipe (setup for low end torque), better air flow, and a rejet. A better cam grind would help significantly followed by raising the compression into the low 10s. If you have one of the later 2001 Raptors, then you probably have the modified head that will allow you to bump compression in the mid 10s and maybe even the high 10s or low 11s.

Good luck. Take a look at the GYTR slip-on with the stock head pipe for low end gains.

Old 08-07-2001, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

mine was made in september but i got it in march what does that mean for my head?

Old 08-07-2001, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

wil the chain and skid plate fit with a 43 rear sprocket??

Old 08-07-2001, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the information, NotuRaptor. The hills I usually climb are fairly steep, and do require you to move around on the hill to get around trees, etc. Otherwise, yes, I'd just haul a$$ up them. If I'm in the meat of the power band in 2nd gear, I'm going faster than I'm confortable with (for this type of hill climbing). What I'm basically looking for is to be able to be in the meat of the powerband, but be going slower than 2nd (but faster than 1st). I might try the 13/43 sprocket combo. I was thinking about a pipe for this too... But do you believe the GYT-R pipe is the best for low end torque? I was looking at the White Bros. Pipe.

From what I understand, the 2002's has new gear ratios on Reverse, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. 4th and 5th are the same as they are now. I'd like to see now the new gear ratios work out. If the work out good, I think I'll be taking my bike back in to All Seasons in Wooster and have them fix it.

I have one of the last Raptors that came off the assembly lines (going by the serial number on it). How can you adjust the compression ratio NotuRaptor?

2001 Yamaha Raptor (GYT-R Bumper, GYT-R Graphics Kits, DG Skid Plates, Pro Design Kill Switch)
1988 Yamaha Warrior (too many mods to list. FOR SALE)

Old 08-07-2001, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Generally, a 43 will fit for aftermarket skidplates. If you already have one, check with your manufacturer. There are some made that fit the 43. If you already have one and it doesn't fit then you can add some washers between the skidplate and swingarm to add some space (you will sacrifice some ground clearance).

raptorridah - if your quad was produced in September then you have the old head design. Yamaha did not go back and retrofit unsold bikes with the new head. The big problem with the original head was that some of them have too much clearance around the intake valves thus allowing oil to pass through.

Old 08-07-2001, 04:33 PM
Range Rover

Just learn how to ride fast!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Raptor & Hill Climbs