Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My new Grizzly sucks (water)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-1999, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I took the maiden voyage yesterday with the new Grizzly with 27 in Blackwaters. I was not impressed. First i got water in the belt(18 in of water)Drained it.Later found a breather for rear brake fell off,had to drain it.Later still the clutch quits upshifting,top speed is 40 mph with the motor screaming.(water??)Limping back to the truck at 20 mph it overheats.Two screws vibrated out if the airbox cover,which was now full of crap.Top it all off it rides like crap.I rode this same trail 3 times with my Polaris and have never had the sore back and arms i do now.It vibrates too much and is way to loud.Not bashing you guys with Grizzlies and i do realize that this is probably(hopefully) not common.If it happened to you,you would not be happy either.I bought my Grizz after selling my (trouble free) Polaris hoping for less day to day maintnence.Anyone want a new Grizz with 80 miles.

Old 08-01-1999, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

LoL, the Polaris guys are going to eat this up.

Did your Polaris have 27 inch tires also? If not this could be your problem.

------------------
Arctic Cat 500, Not your average Kitty, The New King Of the Jungle

Old 08-01-1999, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah I figured the Polaris guys will have fun.I know my buddy with the Sportsman was when he pulled me out of the water with a wet belt.I pulled my clutch cover off and found nothing to explain the problems.Back to the dealer i guess.Probably will have to fight to get it fixed under warranty.Some of the vibration,as well as the slight wander above 35 mph is caused by the larger,more aggressive tires.But not all of it.When i was washing the mud off today i found another LARGE bolt laying in the skid plate.....where it goes,or came from is another question.I also found a large rubber elbow with a clamp that was lodged in the frame.Again,what,where ????? Come on man.What the heck did I do to deserve such problems ?? On the other hand it sure does "LOOK" tough in the driveway!!

Old 08-03-1999, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

You lying? Are you? That's a lot!?! No, you're not lying, are you?

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 08-03-1999, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Even Yamaha's have their problems. The Grizzly is one of them.

I think the Engineers/Designers of the Grizzly were doing drugs when they came up with this idea. I've never liked it since the day I reviewed it. Rubber belts and water...hmmmm....yeah, OK! NOT!

Morons!

When I first came to the world of atving, I was warned by experienced owners/riders to go through my new unit and tighten every nut, bolt, and screw I could find. This would have to be repeated the first few rides and then every once in a while after that (maybe do it with oil changes?). I couldn't believe some of the bolts that rattled loose or out of the frame either. It is amazing sometimes, but it's maintenance that ALL owners should perform.

When you do replace your Grizzly, I recommend (I'm sure others do, too) that you still go over your new unit and check for loose items. You might be amazed at what you do/do not find!

Good luck on your next choice! By the way, what is your next choice???

------------------
William Hayes '96 Yamaha Big Bear SE Juneau, Alaska

Old 08-03-1999, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

Oh Man... where do I begin...????
I owned a Grizz for a short while.. and the problems you are describing sound WAY too familiar... if it had more than 80 miles, I'd ask where you bought it.. and if it had the stickers removed from the tank..

Good luck on getting it fixed...