Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Beartracker

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-1999, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in buying a Brand new Beartracker and as you know it does not have 4-wheel drive and i was wondering if anyone has ever test driven a beartracker and if the beartracker still has enough power to pull me through the muddy trails.

Old 08-02-1999, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

Check out our evaluation in the "Quad Review" section if you haven't already.

11/9/98 Riding Yamaha's New Bear Tracker

Old 08-03-1999, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 98 Timberwolf 2 wheel drive and I rode a Beartracker when I bought my Timberwolf And I thought it was powerful enough to go though mud. I got my Timberwolf because it was on sale because they were getting rid of all the let over Timberwolves but I thought the Timberwolf had plenty of power and it does. I have done some steep hill climbs, rode though mud up to the differential, and over some big rocks. So go for the Beartracker it will be perfect.

98 Timberwolf 2WD

Old 08-03-1999, 02:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The best answer to this question is to think of the past. I don't know how long you have been riding quads, but if you have since the mid 80's, then you will find your answer there. People who have ridden for a long time, think back to 85-87 when the most common bike out was the Honda Fourtrax 250 (not the 250r, the 4 stroke utility one). Think about all of the places that people went on these old first generation quads. They would take you almost anywhere. The bikes today are just improvements over time. Mainly, they have more power for more pulling and quicker acceleration. They pull hills in higher gears, and they ride more comfortable. The 4wd ones don't get stuck as easy, climb up stuff that 2wd will spin tires on, and back up the same stuff. As far as riding on any regular trails, a 250 class bike will follow most everything else, it will just need a little help when large obstacles(steep loose hills, large mudholes, etc.) come in the way. The beartracker will take you almost anywhere a big bore will, it will just not be completely as easy doing it, but the difference isn't that much. A 4wd timberwolf will do better only because of the front wheels pulling. Bikes today are just more advanced, but you can only improve a bike to where it can outperform an older one in picky aspects. The smaller bikes still have plenty of power to get you around. Think of all the 4wheeling that was done when the quads that ruled the roost consisted of Honda 250 fourtraxs, Honda 200 trx's, Yamaha Moto-4 225's, Kawasaki Bayou 185 & 300's, and Suzuki Quadrunners. Those bikes went through hell and back, so there shouldn't be any reason why a 99 model 250 couldn't do the same. It would even be more comfortable, and with tighter turning most likely.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 08-04-1999, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

Here's the deal. I have a brand spanking new Beartracker that I got about a month and a half ago. Its a 2000 and its red. I sold my 96 T-Wolf to get it, so I have had extensive experience on both and can answer all of you questions if you have any (you can e-mail me at Cisko61832@aol.com). Power wise, I think the T-wolf had the edge (stock vs stock). The tracker has a much lighter throttle feel and much better carbueration (is that how you spell that?). The tracker has tons of mid range compared to the wolf. One trick I learned on the wolf was to remove the baffle from the muffler, which made it pull a lot better, but unfortunatly, the Tracker's is welded in, but there is a small bolt on the bottom of the muffler that can be removed. Remove the bolt, and it pulls quite a bit better everywhere, and isn't so rumbly at high rpms in 5th. Now the muffler sucks. It has a tinish sound, and its SUPER RESTRICTIVE! Its rumbly at high rpms because its sooooo restrictive. The stock tires are verygood compared to the T-Wolf so thats not going to be an issue for a while. It doesn't turn quite as tight, but it holds a much better line at high speeds. The suspension in the front is a bit better (handles small-medium bumps pretty nicely), but the rear shock feels just a touch stiff-even on the softest setting. The say to run 3.2 psi front (i think) and 3.9 rear for the tires. I think not! I am running 6 3/4psi front and rear. The seat is great and its a gas miser like the wolf was. Once my warranty expires, I am doing a few mods to get MO POWER. But for now, removing the bolt from the muffler will have to do. Have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.
Later, Shawn Jackow

Old 08-04-1999, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer

I forgot to mention, due to the huge carb 34mm CV vs 24mm nonCV on the t_wolf, there is a little less low rpm torque. There are times I am in first gear on a medium steep hill and it barely spins the tires, so the trick is to keep the rpms up just a little or get a run at it ina higher gear. In mud, it does very nice in 2nd gear and the tires clean out pretty well for stockers. GREAT NEWS! yamaha DID FIX the brakes. They no longer fill with nud and water like my and many other peoples t-wolf brakes did. Oh yeah, the brakes are a bit stronger too. I like the powder coated frame also. I think this machine will hold very well over time, seems to be screwed together tight and I'm sure you'll have fun on it or whatever you buy Rebel.
Happy Trails, Shawn

Old 08-04-1999, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

I don't mean to keep taking up space, but T-wolf16 said he went through mud up to the diff. Thats nothing, I buried the whole Wolf half way up the headlights in mud--took 4 machines to get me out. The tracker is a regular submarine like the t-wolf was, except now you won't have to fix the brakes everytime you go in mud. I used to take the Wolf through little fish ponds in my neighbors yard, the water was deep enough to make me float--and the water was over all the fenders--and it didn't so much as cough--and the tracker seems to be the exact same way.
Shawn

Old 08-06-1999, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought a 2000 model beartracker about two weeks ago. I think its a great machine and has pretty good power all around. and it has a great mid range. I would like to find some aftermarket parts for it though. More power is always better. if any one finds any aftermarket parts for this machine could they please post them here or e-mail me at
beartracker10@hotmail.com

Old 08-12-1999, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

So far, a jet kit is all that is available for it. I talked to K&N and a couple exhaust places and they said to check back in the fall. Dynojet is the one that makes the kit. For now, try pulling the bolt out of the bottom of the muffler--it will help a bit more than you'd think!
Later all, Shawn

Old 08-12-1999, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Doesn't that bolt keep the sparks from the spark arrester inside? I know I read in the honda owners maual that you only remove that bolt for cleaning out the muffler by rebbing it up a few times and then reinstalling the bolt. They said to be extra careful even when you just had it idling with the bolt out. It doesn't work the same on the yamahas?

Quick Reply: Beartracker