Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help on installing rear Elka shock

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received my new Elka shocks. Having trouble mounting the rear one. If you have an Elka shock, did it come with new hardware for installing or did you have to use the factory hardware?

The reason I ask is that it seems obvious that you do not need to use the collars for the top shock mount (see http://216.37.204.203/Yamaha_OEM/Yam...A=182&B=43 for diagram). The stock bolt fits tightly inside the upper shock hole.

However, the lower bolt does not fit tight at all and the stock collars do not fit (they would provide the correct spacing for mounting to the rear linkage but would not tighten up the dead air space between the bolt and the shock hole).

Any ideas? I was set to install this today for tomorrow's ride. As always, help is appreciated.

Otherwise, I will call Martin at Elka on Monday.

Old 08-12-2001, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

okay, I am now stuck riding the Kodiak today. It is okay though since it rained most of Friday and Saturday here in the Baltimore area. I used to love the Kodiak before I got the Raptor. Look out mud holes, here I come!!!

Old 08-12-2001, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

I just put Elka's on my R with no problems at all. Won't be able to ride for a while though, so I know what you are going through. Putting on ESR310 kit today, and will break it in this week in the evenings.

Old 08-12-2001, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

Dude,

You must have ridden so hard (ridzhard) you bumped your head. Just kidding... So what is the answer to the questions?

Did your Elka shocks come with new hardware or did you use the factory hardware (nuts, bolts, collars, etc.)???

How did you deal with the fact that the bolt on the lower shock is not a tight fit or was it on yours?

Thanks,

NotuRaptor

Old 08-15-2001, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

Noturaptor,
Please let me know if you come up with I solution.
My Elka's are coming tomorrow so your help
would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-15-2001, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Turns out that the lower rear bushing was missing. Talked to Martin on Monday and he quickly realized the problem and had the new bushing shipped Fed-X. I will have it today. Can't wait.

The only parts you will reuse from the factory setup are the bolts, washers, nuts, and the two clamps for holding the reservoir.

Old 08-15-2001, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear they helped you out quickly...
hate it when companies dont stand behind their products.

Been thinking of going with Elka...let us know how the ride is compared to stock...

Old 08-15-2001, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks I appreciate it. Now I hope they remember the bushing in mine.
They should be here this afternoon. Later

Old 08-15-2001, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

Joey9, let me know if you got new reservoir clamps. As it turns out the factory clamps are not long enough to go around the new reservoir. Not sure if Elka forgot to send the clamps or whether they expect you to go out and buy some.

NEWS FLASH!!! : For $1,500 in shocks, I expect it to come with clamps or a big fat warning that I will need them. I hate being ready to test ride only to find out something is missing. I might have known this ahead of time but the shocks don't come with any instructions either!

It was a real pain putting the rear shock on. I got mine on without removing the swingarm skidplate. When putting the new shock on, I had to remove the rear shock linkage then put the lower shock mount on first and torque. It is such a tight fit that you will need a rubber mallet for this part (Good Luck!). Once you have the shock mounted to the rear shock linkage, slide the upper part of the shock in as high as you can (past its mount even), then put the lower linkage bolt on and torque (at this point the linkage is not slid into place yet). Now, push the rear shock linkage back into place and put the upper shock mount bolt on. Then finally, the upper linkage bolt. You will need a jack under the frame to play around with jacking the frame up and down to get the holes to line up, etc. Oh yea, remove the grease fitting too off the lower rear shock linkage. You will probably need to hammer where it is and it will interfer some with your skidplate. You can put it on last.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2001, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Mine didn't come with the clamps or the lower bushing just like yours.
Elka is Fed exing the bushing for Friday and the clamps you'll have to go to HomeDepot or hardware/autoparts store and get some stainless steel hose clamps that will fit. I put my stock rear shock back on for now though.
I plan on going out now for a little ride to see what the front are like.
I took the skid plate off to get the shock out it seemed to make it alot easier. Later

Quick Reply: Help on installing rear Elka shock