Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Finally flipped it !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K.. so it wasn't anything spectacular, but I did finally flip my Warrior.

Went riding for a few Saturday evening in a small (and I stress small) feild behind the house. I have a bum wrist (not what you think either) and riding was hurting it, so I headed back to the house. Coming out of the feild there is a 1-2 foot high rise at probably 50 degrees or so and then the yard is at about a 15 degree slope up to the house. I have always wanted to ride a wheelie out of the feild and all the way up to the house, but ain't that good at wheelies yet. I tried anyway. 2nd gear, popped the clutch a little and up she came. Felt great and then I got that uneasy feeling like I had passed the "balance point." By the time I was sure that I had passed it, I was out of options for setting her down on all 4. I dcided not to bail cause I knew I could get completely out of the way, and as long as I "rode" her down then at least I knew where she would fall on me. Nice and slow (or so it seemed anyway)she laid me on my back, I waited till I could tell which way she wanted to go, and tossed her to my right.
Of course she ended up sitting on a fence post so it took some high lifting w/ my bad wrist to get her back on all 4 and touching the ground.
It's funny how your mind works (or doesn't work) when you get in a spot like this. I think if I would have bailed I would have probably had a handle bar in the knee and some serious pain. Since I rode her down though my feet were on the pegs, so my legs felt nothing and other than MINOR scratches on my back, I have nothing to show for it (well some very slightly stressed plastic.)

Sorry to bore y'all, but this is my first wreck of any sort on the Warrior, so I had to tell someone. :-)

Old 08-13-2001, 01:37 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Sorry to hear that you flipped your warrior. Haven't flipped or rolled any of mine yet. Came close one time to rolling my former 300EX when I came off a small jump but some how recovered after almost jerking my arm out of its socket. I got quite the rush from that, but it wasn't a good rush. Chet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2001, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Heck I have only had mine since late April and have come "close" to rolling it hundreds of times... turning way to fast and getting WAY up on two wheels. Too fast through stuff, too much air. One of these days I will learn that just cause the terrain isn't tough, I still have to ride within the quads, mine, and the crappy tires ability.

Was going to replace tires here shortly but decided to go to Cedar Point amusement park this weekend w/ some friends instead. Oh well... maybe w/ the next bonus check. :-)

Old 08-13-2001, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

sounds somewhat like when i wrecked my raptor, I was riding a wheelie in 4th gear, and ive yet to find a balance point, so i was just riding it trying to keep it up then it flipped back on me and it broke my wrist in 2 places, had some trouble lifting it like you, too.

Old 08-13-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

I couldn't imagine riding a wheelie going that fast. That was the first time I had even tried one in second gear, better yet forth. Once I get a chance to go riding again (other than at my house, not enough room) I plan on doing some more experimenting, that way I can get used to popping them while riding that way it is actually useful on trails instead of just something to do for fun.

I am sure that 660cc would make it allot easier than the 350cc does, but once I get good on this thing, it should be a breeze when I go "big" in a few years.

Old 08-13-2001, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it does really help when you get used to it. Even just popping it in first or second for hopping over logs. Some of the trails we ride require this technique. I almost flew over the bars a few times when learning this, but it's alot of fun when you get used to it. Thank god for PRM skids. Later

Old 08-14-2001, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

My grab bar would have stopped it, but since I was on an incline, there wasn't a chance... my grab bar hit right about the time my back did.

Luckily the way it worked out, it was a nice and smooth roll and didn't hurt any.

Old 08-14-2001, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

yeah man I decided to stick to 2nd and 3rd for a while lol

Old 08-15-2001, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

I just flipped mine too. I was headed up this new hill that only a honda forman could go up w/ 27inch tires. it is almost staright up and down. Did i mean tion there is no run at it either. At the top it wen tup i bialed looked at it adn jumped to the side. I fell down and out of the thing i lost my key. And watched the warrior to indos all the 50 remaining feet of hill.

Old 08-15-2001, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

flipped my warrior to i was in about 4th gear goin pretty fast and my big *** spider traks that i have hit the side of a tree and i flipped and didnt get a scratch on me.