Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000/2001 Kodiak water pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know specifically which parts were redesigned on the water pump? My pump is leaking. I took it off the Kodiak and disassembled. I am trying to decide whether to order just the seals or new housings too.

Following is the address for an exploded view of the pump:

http://216.37.204.203/Yamaha_OEM/Yam...A=153&B=38

Thanks in advance for any help or light you can shed.

Old 08-13-2001, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Get a whole new housing. If you just replace the seals, the pump will go out again.

Old 08-13-2001, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

What is the deal with this water pump? This is twice I have seen something about it now and I am starting to get worried about my next trip.LOL.Do they start leaking at the housing?? is it a casting problem? and, I wonder if Yamaha is considering covering this even if out of warranty? So far so good on mine.Is there a way to see if I have the later version since I have nothing to compare it to?
Thanks
2000 Kodiak
1995 Wolverine
1988 Big Bear

Old 08-13-2001, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

The waterpump is a known problem on the Kodiak. On some of the 2001 models, they used a new water pump. On all 2002 models, you shouldn't have any problem with it. Mine was out of warranty the second time it went out. I made sure the covered it by raising hell. So they did, and also extended my warranty by 18 months. So anyone that has a 2000/2001 model and the waterpump goes out and it's no longer under warranty, I strongly suggest that you raise hell and make sure they cover it.

Old 08-13-2001, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I am fairly sure the issue is with the inner housing. There is a small hole in the bottom of it that lets anti-freeze that gets past the seal to seep out prior to being pushed past the oil seal and into the engine. The problem is when riding in lots of muddy water, dirt and grit goes in this hole and gets into one of the seals and ruins it. I heard that the new pump housing has a hose connected to this hole. After looking at the Riva Yamaha site, I realize it is best to buy the whole pump assembly if the dealer won't cover it. By the time you by the inner housing, a new shaft, seals, and bearing, you should just get the whole pump. For those who have this problem in the future, don't think you can get by without paying for the new shaft. The seals rub against it and wear a groove. The next seal will only work for a short while (long enough to get you past the warranty period probably).

I have a 2001 now and sold another one. Both have had this water pump seal problem. Hopefully the new design fixes it.

I will call the dealer tomorrow to see if they will cover it. This quad is slightly over one year old (production #3634). I doubt I will get very far with them but who knows. They have been really good to me for the Raptor.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-15-2001, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

NotuRaptor, you are correct about the new water pumps having the plastic drain tube on the bottom. My pump has went out twice and the last time the dealer replaced it with the new design. I have put my Kodiak through the same this Summer as I did last Summer and have not had any problems yet. As far as what is new, all I know is that plastic tube hanging from the bottom. I do know the part number on my invoice is different than the one on the microfinch at www.ronnies.com If you do not know the new part number to ask for let me know and I will find my invoice and post it.

Im sure Yamaha knows they had a problem with their first water pumps. Why would they come out with a new one?? Do like FKNA did and raise hell and let them know you know it is a know problem. If they are a dealer who cares about their customer they will come around to help you out. If not, find another dealer. Good luck.

Old 09-17-2001, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

NoTuRaptor, How did you come out? Was your dealer willing to cover it under warranty. I was hoping my 2000 Kodiak would be immune to this but today I noticed the dreaded antifreeze spot on the garage floor.

Old 09-17-2001, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear it. You can try bitching with your dealer to give you the updated version but you probably won't get too far. If I had it to do over again, I would call Yamaha's customer support. My service guy told me that he thinks customers have more success than he does in getting freebie parts. He said Yamaha will often provide the part if the customer pays the labor. Just agree to it then put it on yourself.

The dealer was willing to repair it but I decided to buy the complete assembly myself from Riva since many others reported repeated failures from fixed units.

If you do get a new unit, just undo the 2-3 bolts that hold it onto the engine. Then, twist it back and forth until it comes out. It isn't easy to get it out. The only reason I mention this is that it was not obvious to me how to get it out at first. You don't have to take the pump assembly apart to get it out.

Good Luck!

Old 09-18-2001, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Do you possibly have the # for Yamaha customer support?
GOD BLESS AMERICA!