Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks!

I own a Honda 400 Foreman, and for what it is designed for it is great. But, wanting to go fast and jump high, it isn't very good. So I bought a 95 Warrior as a play bike.

Now being new to the sport bike and chain drive I have a few questions I hope you guys/gals can answer.

1. If I grab the rear sprocket, I can move it very slightly front/rear on the axle. Is this normal, or am I going to have problems with the axle splines? I read in another post that the brake rotor tends to move a little, but it is not under torque.

2. What is the best way to determine preload for the shocks. All seem to be set at min. I weigh 200lbs.

3. Are there any "quirks" that I need to look for on a used Warrior? The bike is in good shape and runs great.

Thank you all in advance.

Old 08-30-2001, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I weigh 190 pounds with my riding gear on and I have my shocks set at the hardest setting. You mentioned jumping high. Even with my stock shocks set on the stiffest setting they bottom out on only 3 foot of air. Ride the quad and if you are bottoming out the shocks set them to the next hardest setting. The only quirk I would say is the air filter. When you take the airbox lid off to clean the air filter make sure the filter is back in correctly and the lid is holding the filter in the proper position. If you do this wrong the engine can suck in unfiltered air. No other quirks that I know of.

Old 08-31-2001, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

As far as the sprocke moving, I would take it off and check for any stretched out holes. If any or 1 is stretched, replace the sprocket. If not, make sure it is tightened down good and check the axle nuts are too.

Ridnwarrior is right about the air filter setup, it sucks, literally. I would get a pro flow kit for it to eliminate any problems in the future.

Also, ground the wire that goes to the reverse lever to the frame. That has been known to cause the engine to cut out at high rpms. Other than that, enjoy your ride.