Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor clutch lever simplicity - clean, quick solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, many of you know I've been confined to bed for too many days now. Well today, I was able to go make it out to the garage. I've been pondering the clutch/emergency brake setup all week while lying in bed. I know it is still ugly even when I can't see it from my room.

About three months ago, I disabled the emergency brake switch that keeps you from revving the engine if the emergency brake is pulled. This was easy and I never had to worry about getting stuck somewhere like others with a quad that wouldn't run right because the switch was screwed up. Then about a month ago, I got a brake blockoff plate (needed to save some weight before heading to New Hampshire to whip up on a silver/black Raptor. Turns out the silver/black ones have even crappier plastic than the blue ones which saves just enough weight that they can win some races in New Hampshire against the blue ones). The other thing I removed was the emergency brake cable and some of the pieces no longer needed above the clutch lever. Although it worked, it was still ugly. Not as ugly as my friends wife but still ugly. Yep, I still had the extra emergency switch wire, the big rubber boot with extra holes, and the oversized metal part that holds the clutch lever to the bars. Obviously you could tell the thing was modified. I HATE it when things aren't neat and simple.

Went to the garage today to figure out how to put a straight clutch assembly on the Raptor and to rig the clutch switch so the bike would still have a safety switch if you tried to start it while in gear. I was inspired by the Grizzly guy's setup. Figured I would come up with something similar. I would get a switch from Radio Shack that would have to be activated along with the starter button in order to start the quad while in gear. I figured this was enough warning that I needed to either put it in neutral or make sure the clutch was pulled in.

Then, I looked over at my Kodiak figuring maybe I could use the left brake lever setup on the Kodiak and wouldn't need to buy a new clutch lever assembly. Walked over to the Kodiak and sure enough it already had a spot for the switch. Turns out the Kodiak has a switch that must be activated so it can be started when it is in gear (you have to put the rear brakes on). Yep, you know the rest of the story. I pulled that sucker off and put it on the Raptor.

You can order the necessary parts for $24.00 (you don't need to order the Kodiak brake lever, the existing Raptor clutch fits).

Hope at least one other person out there finds this useful. I almost though about selling this as a kit on e-bay but then thought nay...I get all kinds of good ideas from the forum. I will return the favor.

Sorry for yet another long message but I am still bored.

/NotuRaptor

Old 09-09-2001, 10:33 AM
Range Rover

you could order a nice new chrome one from rocky mountain for 34.00 .that includes the perch and lever and it is 3 way adjustalble like a dirt bike.The set up looks 100 times better than stock and looks oh so clean...

Old 09-09-2001, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Does the one from Rocky Mountain ATV have a place for the clutch safety switch? I still need to buy an assembly since I don't like the one from the Raptor on the Kodiak any more than I liked it on the Raptor.

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2001, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

just go get a kx-250 clutch lever or a cr-250 one and be done with it. It's cheap and easy to do. As far as coming to New Hampshire to beat on the Wht/Blk Raptor........ In the words of The Rock...JUST BRING IT...

Old 09-10-2001, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider

I was looking for a solution that keeps the safety switch in place. I don't mind not having a neutral safety on a kick start bike but would like to keep it on the electric start quad since I often start it just standing next to it.

I guess you get used to not having it and work around it. I remember the days when standard transmission cars would start without pushing in the clutch. I once had my Camaro on a set of ramps under the back tires and a jack stands under the front. Thought it was in neutral and reached in through the driver's side window and started the car. Yep, you know the rest...luckily, the garage wall stopped it with only a few scuff marks on the bumper and a small hole in one concrete block.

Old 09-11-2001, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

yeah, but you can get rid of the safety switch if you just look and make sure your neutral light is on before you start the quad.