Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What are the best hi rev pipes for Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-1999, 06:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a good set of pipes for my 89 Banshee. I want to gain mostly on topend and midrange as well. I don't mind about the poor low end of the Banshee as long as the new pipes don't make it worse although it would be nice to gain on lowend as well but I doubt if this is possible since I want a top end and midrange pipe. Also what is the best reed to get or is it better to get V Force Delta reed cage, Boyeson Rad Valve, or FMF Ram Valve. Thanks in advance.

------------------
Jeremiah Lucas

1989 Yamaha Banshee

Old 10-25-1999, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Pal,

The best all around top end banshee pipes are the Toomey T-5's.

Rear horsepower is right around 47. You don't lose any low end... (not noticable).

Keep the Banshee faith alive
BansheeGuy

Old 10-25-1999, 07:29 PM
Range Rover

Hey slickster you said that you don't lose any low end but then said (not noticeable), what's that refer to. How about the midrange, is there a increase or is it the same. Well thanks for the post.

------------------
Jeremiah Lucas

1989 Yamaha Banshee

Old 10-26-1999, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

Take a look at the powerband chart at http://www.toomey.com , that should answer most of your questions, that is a comparing with stock...I've heard FMF gives better low-end power, but if you want high-rev, get the Toomey's!

Old 10-26-1999, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

As far as top end Toomeys seem to be the best but just for top end the low and mid isn't much better than stock. It all depends on what style of riding you do. Most people look for an all around pipe such as FMF. Im a LRD fan myself they are adjustable so you can adjust them as you see fit.

Old 10-27-1999, 03:17 AM
Range Rover

Dune it, you have a good looking bike. Everybody thanks for the posts. It makes me happy to actually get some help for once. I don't know about everyone else, but the dealers around me don't know jack or at least don't give free answers. Thanks.

------------------
Jeremiah Lucas

1989 Yamaha Banshee

Old 10-27-1999, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, there's a reason that Toomey's are on just about every Banshee, well almost every one... They are a very good pipe. I looked into just about every pipe made before buying the T-5's, and I couldn't find anything else but the FMF's that came close to peak hp, powerband width and low end. Believe it or not, the T-5's basically match the stock low end, and really rip on the top end. They make better than 40 hp over a 3000 rpm range! The FMF's are close, and there are a couple of other brands that have higher peak numbers, but those pipes don't keep making really good power for more than about 1500 - 2000 rpm and their peak is very short.

Ask anyone that has Toomey's - They seem to never stop pulling. They sure impressed the heck out of me.

Reeds or reeds/cages, that is the question. Save your money and just get the Boyesen reeds. Even if the newst fandagled reed cage contraption of the month adds 1/4 more hp, they aren't worth 200 buck compared to $40.

Old 10-27-1999, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

I'm sure happy with mine, but considering I just installed them today, I haven't really been able to check them out. Still breaking in my new banshee, bought it monday....Hitting the dunes Thursday night, can't wait!

Didn't get the chrome pipes, I had them ceramic coated at Jet-Hot. Not as nice a finish as chrome but they don't turn blue and are supposed to run somewhat cooler. I'll let ya know!
Here's some photos if you want to see it:

http://ochs.server101.com/myweb/banshee.htm

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dune-it (edited 10-27-1999).]

Old 10-27-1999, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

How much did it cost to have the pipes coated? I'm not happy with the nickel finish on my fmf's always rusting

Old 10-27-1999, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

All said and done, it was $150...that was both expansion chambers and stingers. I sent them on a monday and they returned via UPS on the following Tuesday, although you can request 48 hr. turnaround time as opposed to 72 hr., at no extra cost (I didn't find that out until later).

Here's their website:

http://www.jet-hot.com

Here's another place as well, although I have no experience or recommendations:

http://www.hpcoatings.com/

An internet friend has them on his Banshee and he recommended them. They've been on his for 3 years now and they still look the same, you can have anything done, old or new. They say the stuff is so flexible you can have your springs coated as well!

Hope this helps!

------------------

Quick Reply: What are the best hi rev pipes for Banshee