Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was riding yesterday when 2nd gear let go. well not really let go, just stopped.

Ive read about this problem on other posts. I thought it would never happen to me. If that isnt enough when it stopped it broke the chain and front sprocket. In addition to that it also broke the outside eng. casing, and possibly damaged the main casing. (which incidentally they only sell in sets). Between this and some other problems Ive had (carbs blowing off, steering stem always being loose, etc..) I am going to put this lump back together and sell it to never purchase another yamaha product again. (not even a piano) I have recieved no factory support for any of these (common) problems with the raptor the dealer tried to help me out a little but told me it was to old. my raptor is less then a year old and maintained really well. To have catastrophic eng. failure on a product that costs 7000.00 is completly unacceptable.

yamaha stinks

Old 09-10-2001, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man i feel your pain. Mine cost me $3000 in repairs before i got smart enough to sell it. If yah like the raptor power get a zilla. I got one and was realy impressed with it. Ride one youll see what i mean.

Old 09-10-2001, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you got a LEMON! I don't blame you for wanting to put it together to sell it. Maybe it would be a good time to wait for the new tranmission gears to come out and put it all back together as a "slightly used" 2002 engine and then sell it.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of oil did you run? Was the oil level where it was supposed to be at the time it stopped? Just wondering. I remember one other guy who seized his engine and turned out he developed a quick oil leak and lost all his oil.

Thanks and Good Luck getting through this.

Old 09-10-2001, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

When the tranny goes out, it usually make ticking noise from broken gear teeth or dogs but generally doesn't lock up or never derail the chain.

Based on your description, the chain derailed first due to lack of maintenance. The wadded up chain broke the upper tab at crankcase which secures the sprocket cover. It may also resulted in jamming of the gear and breaking that gear.

You may not have tranny problem. The crankcase can be repaired by bolting on a steel strap from top sprocket seal plate bolt to the top cover bolt - put a nut behind the steel strap and bolt the cover bach on.

Put the chain back on and adjust it correctly. Test ride to see if you have all gears and no noise. It that's the case, you're lucky. Adjust your chain from now on. If tranny damage, fix only the damaged parts. To upgrade to `02, you will need just about complete tranny assy which can get costly with minimal gain.

As for carb blowing off and steering bell crank loosening, I have see many do that but there is an easy fix for them.

Whatever you decide to buy next, keep the maintenance up or your life will be miserable. Besides, you can't affort Yamaha pianos.

Old 09-11-2001, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

I havent taken the eng out yet. (thats tonite) my oil level was good. (i always use oem oil with any atv i buy. I assume its tested with it. I change it often. So often it rarely discolors. the machine does not shift it is locked in second gear. That chain was like new and adjusted properly. The sprockets were like new till it ripped the teeth off.

I maintain my equipment.

Old 09-11-2001, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Hey man I feel your pain and I do believe you that you maintain your quad, despite what some people say that still have their head in the sand, there IS a problem with the trannys on these Raptors. I also had mine go and when mine went the entire tranny locked up tighter than hell, no clicking noises or whatever. I had to remove my chain just to tow the thing back to the truck. Like you I maintain the hell out of my machines and I know if mine went out while my wife was putting it around it failed from a defect not lack of maintenance and it wasn't abuse. I know that RapTech is trying to help and even offered some constructive advice but when your new extremely well maintained $7000 quad starts spitting gears and people basically tell you it went because of something you MUST have done wrong it can tend to **** a guy off, I know it did when it happened to me. I bit the bullet and purchased the extended warranty coverage incase mine decides to grenade again. Like you said, "I thought it would never happen to me" until it does.

Old 09-11-2001, 10:45 PM
Range Rover

I didn't mean to **** anyone off (I did get a little cocky)with my comments. It just frustrates me when I here statements like I'll never buy another Yamaha again which all it does is de-value our toys when it comes time for resale.

Dunejammer, like you said, your chain did not derail when your tranny went out (I don't know about the part your wife was putting on it). On the other hand, your call sign tells me that you were running the paddle tires which puts high stress on the tranny. I don't recall Yamaha marketing the Raptor as race machine nor sand rail. It's an average use trail machine and warranty period reflex that. If it was full blown race bike, you would have gotten 30 days or no warranty like moto-cross machines with premium price.

I've had mine for almost a year now (over 6000 miles) with agressive trail ride and still not one problem. It has never been back to the dealer. I also never missed a shift and never groud any gear.

nrm660, sorry to hear about your tranny problem. If its locked in 2nd, you do have a problem. Are you going to do the work yourself? If so, just ask and we'll walk you through it. Let me know and I will help you out as much as possible.

Hey everybody, let's not bad mouth our investment and depreciate our toys, it can happen to any brand for whatever the reason. Rather, let's communicate and help each other work through our problems. There are many tech heads out here who can help. Keep the faith.

Old 09-12-2001, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

I took the engine out last night. I will probably split the cases tomorrow night. I will have digital pictures. so I can probably post them in the next few days too.

Old 09-12-2001, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer

ok, i have a 1986 250r (15 years old). Have you ever heard of a bottom end problem with a 250r? its VERY old and the trannys have MUCH abuse on them, yet are still more reliable than a brand new YAMAHA raptor! does it tell you anything? i was planning on getting a raptor but now i'll wait for the the new HONDA quad!!! because the 400ex is too underpowered to run in the nationals! but i may get on if honda doesnt come out w/ n e thing new in the next 6 months!