Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

starting troubles with my warrior

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '97 Warrior that has starting problem. The starter works fine, but I have to jump the starter relay to get it to start. I have replaced the relay thinking that was the problem, but no good. I checked all the grounds and the starter switch, and they all seem to be in good shape. any ideas what to look for next??

Old 09-10-2001, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

i know how to fix it mine did the same thing there is a fuse link right under the solenoid (starter relay) i garrentee the fuse there is blown if it is it will keep blowing so you will have to put a larger one in to prevent this dont worry about bloing light bulbs or anything like that i did it to mine and every thing works fine

Old 09-10-2001, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

checked that too, it was good

Old 09-10-2001, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

See if it will start by the selonnoid. It could be ur spark too check that if it isn't gettin any spark t could be ur CDI unit, or sator.

Old 09-11-2001, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, it will start at the selonoid if i cross the posts with a screwdriver, it just won't do anything if i try to use that start button. i took the starter switch apart and it all looked to be in fairly good shape too. the strange thing is that it just stopped working in the middle of a ride, it was raining like hell and i was in a lot of water, so i thought i may have shorted something.

Old 09-11-2001, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

IF memory serves me correctly, you can't start the warrior in gear unless the clutch is pulled in..

have you tried nuetral AND pulling the clutch all the way in? maybe one of the 2 switches is bad? possibly both, but I doubt that.

I do believe the CDI controls wether or not the start switch is engaged to the solennoid motor, so maybe something is bad in your CDI? If so I would wire the start switch directly to the selonnoid, but thats just me. the only down side of doing this is the warrior could then be started in gear without the cluth..

Brad

Old 09-17-2001, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Finally, i found it. after stripping the bike down to nothing but frame tires and wires, i found a burned wire leading from the starter relay back. spliced it back together and she fired right up.

Old 09-17-2001, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

Hey MrPeanut, You live real close to me. I live just north of Taylorsville. My boss and I ride alot around Ft Knox. I have been working on my Warrior lately so I have missed the last few rides. He went to Leachfield (sp?) and the Brickyard recently. They both sounded good. We should get together for some ridin soon.

Old 09-17-2001, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, i am always looking for somewhere to ride. the only decent rides i have been on were to Livingston and Cliffview. Where in Ft. Knox is there to ride?

Old 09-18-2001, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

MrPeanut~

Where is Cliffview? We make a few trips a year to Livingston, but never heard of Cliffview. Is it near London?

Quick Reply: starting troubles with my warrior