Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor tranny poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2nd gear went out a while back,i fixed the trans myself,just wondering how many on here have been rebuilt,please only post if your trans has been overhauled because of second gear problems,and what the problem was. mine was jumping out of second under load,vin 2032,gear dogs were rounding off and not holding,machined all gear dogs with a slight back cut,replaced shift drum,2nd gear,4th gear,2nd shift fork,during assembley i noticed 2nd only engages about a 3rd of the way,only real repair for the DESIGN FLAW as far as i could see would be to re design the shift drum so the fork would move more.i could not shim the gear anywhere near the extra est. .080 thousands i figured the gear should engage.so far mine works great,only complaint is nuetral is a pain to find sometimes due to back cutting the gears

Old 09-22-2001, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

My tranny just went. What would you figure my problem is, due to the fact that you uhave seen inside the tranny. My raptor sounds like it's sprocket is skipping through the chain, however the sound is coming from inside the tranny! It is louder depending on speed, it does shift fine, and dosen't make the sound in reverse or nuetral, but the sound is quite loud (clicking). I brought it into a yamaha shop and they said they will only fix it if it hasen't been abused, so i may have to fix it my self, is it hard? thanks

Old 09-22-2001, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

mine made the same noise.its 2nd gear jumping in and out.i would say you have the same problem i had.as far as yamaha goes dont count on much,mine was 2 months out of warranty and they paid for the gears,fork,and shift drum.i paid for all the rest of the parts.this was better than nothing but cannondale probably would have fixed it all for nothing.if cannondale keepsup their ways and some one finds out theres 55-60 rear wheel horse in one i think im moving to a company that takes care of their customers.yamaha knows theres a problem and just decided itd be cheaper to blame it on the riders.my trans worked fine for 8 months ridin trails and such,two days in the dunes wiped it out.the only reason they paid for the gears is my dealer called them and told them what a p.o.s. the trans was after he saw the design,doesnt hurt that my wife works there also.