Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Race Fuels

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I am going to be running race gas at a mix but it is pretty hard to be able to figure out what the good stuff is and the bad stuff is. Here is what I am looking at..
VP C12 at 110 octane
Torco at 110 octane
Mach 4 at 104 octane
Sunoco Premium at 116 octane

I will be mixing 3 gallons 93 octane with 2 gallons race gas as long as it is the higher octane fuel than some others. I want to get the VP C12 but the biggest problem is where can I get it here in illinois and I dont want to have to order it. I live about 45 mins west of chicago. It is $5.50 a gallon which seems reasonable. Everybody please give me your input. The Torco stuff is the closest, I can get it real easy because the place that sells it is only 20 minutes from my house but I dont know if it is any good. Please help me guys, I dont have much time to figure this out before my motor goes back together and I go on a trip with it. Thanks

Old 09-24-2001, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

I know somebody here has to have some experience with race fuels and have some advice for me on what to use and where to get it. Plese somebody help!

Old 09-24-2001, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

Do you know what your compression ratios are...both corrected and uncorrected??? Timing advance???

If you are trying to live right on the edge, the fuel that has a higher MOTOR octane rating than the other will typically be the safer fuel. Compare motor octane numbers across the fuels that you are thinking about and whichever has the higher motor number is going to offer more resistance to detonation over the other. The Torco is likely to do it for you, unless, as mentioned you are really trying to squeak by. As in, requires 100 octane and you are trying to get spot right on 99-100 octane in it...There are a TON of variables that can also influence your octane requirements aside from the geometry and set-up of cylinder head...Torco has a good rep from all the feedback and input that I have heard...

Old 09-24-2001, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help, I know all about octane and that sort of thing but I just didnt know what brand was better or worse than others and where to get it.