Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why is my Raptor smoking? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, my quad is running fine now. Seems like nothing is wrong. I replaced the spark plug again, and lowered the oil ratio to 50:1 in the 2 or 3 gallons of gas i have. There is not much smoke coming out, so im happy. I will keep testing it and keep you informed.

Old 10-11-2001, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Entirely honestly, if there was a Raptor within 100' of me, he would have been in my roost. I don't recall any of them being that close, but with a light rider[I'm 230+lbs.], and if I blew a start, it could be true.

My "buddy" is actually a customer of mine with a stronger version of the 760, and he regularly beat me by about 75 feet.

Keep in mind, the raptor owner may have been exagerating how close he was. Not many Raptor owners are going to want to tell the truth about exactly how badly they got beat by a DS. You and I both know that to be true. Even so, isn't 100' a pretty good thrashing? That's about 15 quad lengths. How badly would I have to beat him to get the recognition?

Old 10-11-2001, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Knutz,

So, is your friend's DS the top of the pack on the PAMI kits?? Is his bottle working??
By the way, why would he want to hide the bottle under his seat or use a bottle at all? Is that how the DS must play with the few 686, 727 or 780 Raptors?? I can't figure out the need for a bottle.

Anyway, you know how it goes, we can't give a DS credit for anything. I may give you some credit for finding a way to move that piece of iron but never the DS. -- Unless this guy comes back with some story about a bad cylinder and good valve guides.

I am still trying to get a crew to do Dumont for Thanksgiving instead of Glamis or Utah. Hopefully we can meet and have some fun.

Old 10-12-2001, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

His DS is close to the top of the pack, but I've done better since his. I'm currently working on an 830cc motor for a customer in Texas.

He didn't have any bottle while there at Sand Mountain, but he has installed it since then. He has yet to test it though. He isn't trying to hide it under the seat, it's just the best place to mount it since he has removed the stock air box.

He definatly doesn't need the juice to play with Raptors, none have ever come close to him without it. He wants the nitrous so he can play with the snowmobile engines and 4 cylinder motorcycle engines. Other than that, the only quads that can beat him now are Banshee's running nitrous.

That would be cool to meet up with you at Dumont. Please make sure you introduce yourself befor we race, I don't want you running away embarrased after you lose[LOL]. Honestly though, if your near as fast as I am, we will end up walking away from most anyone else, and definatly any other 4 strokes. Just keep in mind, if you beat me by less than 75 feet, some of my other customers will walk on you. If I beat you, you'll have to stew about how badly you'd be beaten by my wilder motors, mine is just a base level motor for now. I know I won't be the fastest thing up the hill, but I'd guess I'll be that fastest thing up the hill after a long trail ride. Those that beat me, are usually drag only quads.

Old 10-12-2001, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

I have the same thoughts. I think the 686 Raptor is the best engine combo for the blue team. It provides all the power most people need for any type of riding. It is really good fun.

The 727 or bigger is really a drag race engine. There is very little need for that kind of power while duning or riding trails. Heck, a stock Raptor can climb any hill in Glamis.

I am actually looking at one of those Crack and Fails (Cannondales) as a fun experiment/wife's ride. Who knows, maybe some day I will have a DS --- NOT. lol

Old 10-12-2001, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

<< I am actually looking at one of those Crack and Fails (Cannondales) as a fun experiment/wife's ride. Who knows, maybe some day I will have a DS --- NOT. lol >>

Now I get it! You love your Raptor, and your looking at the Cannondale because you couldn't stand to own a quad that doesn't have massive failures on a regular basis. If you got a Bombardier, you wouldn't be able to take it back to the shop as often for repairs and warranty work. I guess it's a social thing, Raptor and Cannondale owners like to hang out together at the shop, while DS owners prefer to ride. It's OK, I understand. LOL

Old 10-12-2001, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Very funny!

Actually, with the new ATVA/AMA rules, looks like the Crack and Fail is going to be the new #1 plate. I just like the engine design, alum frame and shocks. Plus, it looks like it would make a good &quot;wife&quot; atv.

I can't agree on the DS issues though. For some reason I just can't bring myself to finding a use for the DS other than plowing a field or moving snow from a driveway.

I will need to design my own plastic for the Crack and Fail as the stock plastic looks like it was designed by an AMC motors engineer.