Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My 12 year old has had his Raptor for 6 months, I think I'll get one for my 4 year old...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, I bought a Polaris 90 Scrambler for my 4 year old but we couldn't keep the speed down. In order for the clutch to engage the throttle had to be set up to a point that would still allow the tranny to upshift. So here's my 4 year old blasting around the yard at 20 plus mph, freakin my wife out (he buzzed their little afternoon backyard happy hour) I took it back the next day. That was 3 months ago and it still hasn't sold. So I talked to the dealer today about trading it for a Raptorette 80, which I figure I can set the throttle and put it in first gear and take the shift lever off, for now. If I can keep his speed down I think I can get him through the learning curve without major injury...This dealer also handles Honda and a 4trx 90 is also a consideration. I think the Badger/Raptorette might be better for the little guy, and if Skyler ever gets A-arms for his 660 Raptor I might put them on the Raptorette!!
.....Meanwhile my now 13 year old is doing great on his Raptor 660.
He can jump it 40 ft consistently and is now working on his wheelies. Out on the trails he's the only one that can keep up with me on my DS. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2001, 06:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Why not go inside the mechanism that pulls the throttle on the bars? Take the cover off, add a screw through the housing in behind where the throttle linkage operates, add a little silicone to keep contaminants out, and put a locknut on the bottom. Viola! Instant throttle limiter!

Yes, the a-arms should work well on the Raptorette....LOL

Old 10-01-2001, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Would you like another son? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2001, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

If you are serious about limiting the top speed there are a couple of ways to do it.

First, there is a limiting spacer that you can add above the slide in the carb. With this, you will need to reduce the main jet to .031". This will limit power but you will still have some top speed.

Second, you can weld a washer in the exhaust system at the cylinder head. This will limit top speed but is hard on the piston.

Third, you can place a spacer in the variator of the transmission. This will absolutely limit the top speed. Depending on how wide the spacer, top speed will be adjusted down. Wider = lower speed.

I suggest the spacer in the variator regardless of the other methods. That way you will still have hill climbing power (better than rolling backward).

Let me know if you need more info.

Old 10-01-2001, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

...See I think he's better off learning some throttle control,,,but stuck in first gear. The Yamaha and the Honda are 3 and 4 speed with an automatic clutch. So I'll stick it in first and take the shift lever off. He can rev the crap out of it and still not go too fast.
..... I could see disabling an automatic with a spacer or something, but taking off the shift lever is simple and not going to screw anything up.
.... Actually all the new Yamahas, even our 660 raptor and 660 Grizzly have a set screw throttle limiter. So with that set at about half, and stuck in first gear, he shouldn't be going much faster than he goes on his PowerWheels Kawasaki now, but he won't run out of juice going up a hill. Then eventually we can add the shift lever back.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
..... I think the 3-speed Raptorette 80 will make a good starter, widening and A-arms will come sooner or later,,,,And it looks soo cool...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2001, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Uh, the Raptorette does not have a-arms to widen.

Old 10-01-2001, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, same here, i was like what the hell are you doing giving a 4 year old a raptor 660r, jeese i dont if have a raptor( have a 250r) he would even be able to reach the shifter unless he is a really big 4 year old, but i think that raptor 80 doesnt look that bad. Might think about that kasea or what ever they call it, dirtwheels game it a good review!

Old 10-01-2001, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Kasea is the way to go. I would be happy to give you more info.

Old 10-01-2001, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I know the Raptorette is just a reskinned Badger, complete with I-beam front suspension. When I talk about widening the A-arms what I mean is installing some. If I can find a set of, say, stock Blaster A-arms and hubs I can do the neccessary welding and with some rear wheel spacers
widen it up and get some real stability. None of these little quads, even the Kasea, have any decent width or suspension. But that does sound like a monster project...
.....I keep hoping that Yamaha will suprise us with a reworked and not just reskinned Raptorette. Real suspension would be so great.
.....The Pit Viper by ITC looks pretty good, but even it has only single A-arm front suspension. There is a 150 Kasea with full double A-arms but it has a manual clutch. I do notice that all the jr. racers are using wheel spacers. Just throwing a set of wheel spacers on a Honda TRX-90 might be a pretty good way to go too. Also Resale value is a big consideration.. The Honda and the Raptorette are going to hold their value, little else is.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2001, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I just got my 4 year old a suzuki 50. The 2002 model. It is very nice and really plenty of power. I wanted a good starter for him, but nothing to much. One thing I liked about the suzuki was the kid size levers for the brakes. The only other one I could actually look at locally was a polaris 50 and it had regular size levers that were just too big for my son.

I took out the exhaust limiter thing (basically a washer in the exhaust port with a small hole in it) and it moves pretty good. I have the throttle limited almost all the way down for starters and it will actually pull me around. I just tried it a couple times and was pretty impressed that it would move me. It probably gets up to about 10 mph now and that is enough for him. He doesnt concentrate good enough yet, but he is learning.

I think whatever you decide, supervision is the biggest part of the learning curve. I thought about going bigger like the raptor 80, but I figure in a year or two we can do that. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Paul

Quick Reply: My 12 year old has had his Raptor for 6 months, I think I'll get one for my 4 year old...