Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

More power from Raptor (cam,port,piston)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i have the CT kit headpipe and so on love it but i allways need more anyone put a cam in there Raptor or just a piston.Or both please tell me how you like it!! Thankyou Skydog

Old 10-01-2001, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Pretty much been there done that with the Raptor. stock, mod stock, 686, 727, etc.

How fast do you want to go?? The 727 will exceed the performance envelope of the frame.
The 686 is awsome in every respect.

Old 10-01-2001, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

i have a full big gun exh.and pro flow kit,just installed the ct top end kit,sparks key,and ported the head myself,finaly got the jetting dialed in real close,the thing hauls.i have been running 12 tooth front since new,i ride mostly woods and used to ride in 2nd all the time.its got so much more low end i find myself in 3rd most of the time.my freind has a 01 yz 250 bone stock,in a drag race aprox 100 yards he used to beat me by about two to three bike lengths.not so now,we havent raced alot since i got the motor done but the couple times we did he beat me by less than a bike length and he got that of the line.he basicly beats me off the line becuase the raptor either spins hard or pulls the wheels big time.i used to beat him out of the hole most of the time.i noticed a big differance in power from the bottom up,third gear wheelies are just a matter of gasing it.untill i got the jetting dialed in i was not impressed,but now i feel it was money well spent.im going to get the ct jet kit with needles and try it,they claim with their kit the mid range is lean with the stock needles,its only fifty bucks and should add a little more power.

Old 10-01-2001, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Curious on your home port job -- most people ruin the parts absent a flow bench and some knowledge about porting. What did you do on the intake vs. exhaust?? What did you do in the chamber??

Old 10-01-2001, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Raptor 720 please tell me more about the 686 kit who makes it?Do they give you cam,springs,piston?Does it run on pump gas?What kind of power does it make,(night and day from the 660)and how much is it, reliable? THANKYOU Skydog

Old 10-01-2001, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

It is possible to port and polish your head yourself if you know what your doing. I ported and polished the head on my Warrior by simply sanding the exhaust port till it was extremely smooth. I also widened the port slighlty to allow a slightly larger volume. These were just slight port and polishing but i wouldnt get to hardcore without having a program to indicate your flow characteristics, i also wouldn't do anything to the intake port other than matching the manifold to the port (which im also doing) because your intake port has to be somewhat rough so that it can better mix the fuel and air.

Old 10-01-2001, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

i went with fst. it's all you'll ever realisticly need. i'm very pleased. you won't believe the change. race someone that is faster then have the work done. so you can judge for yourself. you'll have to look back to tell though. haha.

Old 10-02-2001, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

A couple of comments here.

1. Skydog, there are a number of builders making the 686 kits. CT, POWROLL, BIKWORX, and TRINITY are just a few.
What you want in a 686 would be a 102mm piston (either J&E or Ross), a cam (I have my pref here but you can roll the dice), valve springs (I make my own set because the ones on the market have the wrong seat and lift pressures), exhaust (here a blueprinted stock headpipe and GYTR tip will work nice), some air box mods and some CV carb mods. OH, we cannot forget porting (I do my own).

What happens when the 686 is done properly -- power -- any time any gear. Sand Mountain near Reno, it will pull 4th while all other Raptors can only hit 2nd.

Who do I feel is the best at Raptor mods -- Trinity Racing in Anaheim, CA. Why, because I have seen their work and would use their services if I did not do my own work. I have issues with CT and Powroll is just too far away. Bikeworx is another good shop but I have not seen any of their big bore Raptors yet. They worked with the MZ and SZR 660 cycles though.

With the proper cam, timing and carb setup, pump gas is no problem. This setup will never break. I have well over 100 hours on the 686 -- hard race hours with no problems.

Now, MODEDWARRIOR --
If someone followed your advice on the Raptor, they would be really mad at you and the results. The 660 suffers from too much exhaust flow in relation to intake flow. Making the exhaust flow more (with bigger ports or a bigger exhaust) will kill the low and mid range torque.

Sure, almost any mod to a stock Raptor will yield big results BUT when the proper pieces are put together, you have more power and it will stay together.

Old 10-02-2001, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

good point about the porting raptor720.

Old 10-02-2001, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

THNAKYOU very much for the info! One more thing what about putting in a std. piston maybe 11:1 and a cam.Sending the head out to get ported,and you scary me about the srings what is going to be my best bet for valve springs? Not worth time and money. Thankyou Skydog P.S.Keep up the GREAT work!

Quick Reply: More power from Raptor (cam,port,piston)