Search this Thread

Old 12-28-1999, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
Do you use a UNI-SYNC ?
or just by ear ?
or ?
Mine is 96 and has the stock carbs and stock adjustment box on top of carbs ( no twist or aftermarket cable )

Thanks Charles

Old 12-28-1999, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

I wish I could find a UNI-SYNC like the old ones.

Old 12-28-1999, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought a synchronizing gauge from motion pro....It is probably the best investment I have made for the Banshee. I was dealing with hit or miss....I was not far off by ear..but it was off and made a big improvement. now I know it is done right. The gauge was $69...(10% less with an AMA card) not too bad. It should last a while.

As far has your question of how to synchronize.....The gauge (mercury) came with detailed info....if you would like, when I get to work I can scan them for you. It might help you get a better grasp on it. But probably not much use without the gauge.... It does explane why the carbs need to be in sync. Good info.
good luck....

Old 12-29-1999, 01:48 AM
Range Rover

i got a 99 banshee and some one told me that on the side of each carb there is a little circle spot and if u push on the throttle and look on the side of the carb, u will see a little ball that will appear in that little circle hole on each of the carb and u have to open the throttle wide open to see it i dont know if that will help u out or not

Old 12-29-1999, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a window on the right side of each carb that shows the slide position at full throttle. Looking into the window, you'll see what appears to be a ball, it's not, it's a drilled hole (not a through hole). When the throttle is completely open, the hole should line up in the center of the window (so says the manual). Toomey's web site has instructions for carb synchronization in their throttle kits. They approach it differently, stating that the carbs can be synched by either a guage (as mentioned) or by "feeling" when the slides move off the idle position. I recently checked mine after a twist throttle install and synched by both feel and by the windows. It was fairly painless. I would guess that I'm within about .010" of being perfect. Whether or not the carbs have to be absolutely perfect or not, I don't know. I could imagine that if they were way off (over .05 difference) then it would be quite noticeable.

Anyone have any idea what happens if the carbs are very slightly out of synch??

Old 12-29-1999, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replys, I found a Uni-sync "online" at http://www.startinglineproducts.com/...og/unisyn.html for $39.00, just wanted to know if anyone has used a usi-sync on a Banshee. How does the Motion Pro Gauge hook up ? is there a web page with a picture of one ?
Thanks again
charles

Old 01-12-2000, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sorry about the late response to this post....I was in Florida(Disney) for the Y2k rollover....What a party...

Anyway....The motion pro synchronizer is pretty painless to use...though you need to buy it with 6mm adaptors instead of the supplied 5mm.

The rubber manifold that the carb is in should have a screw in the side.....to Synchronize....you should remove the screw and install the adaptor....The hose then slides onto the adaptor....pretty painless....I know that the visual method using the glass windows on the carbs to line up the hole is close...and my machine ran great with this method....But after using the gauges, I checked the marks that I would normally use to line up and found that the marks on the slides were actually off a bit...close, but off. ...Now I'm not sure if my gauge method is better or not...seems to run pretty comparable...but for piece of mind...Now I know that I am doing it right..... I keep my quad spotless when it is not being ridden...and even still... I have a hard time looking through the little foggy window on the carbs to make the adjustment.... I bought my gauge from motion pro (http://www.motionpro.com/servicetool...vicetools.html)

The tool says that it is not recommended for use with 2 strokes.....If you call motion pro they will explain why this is....IT DOES WORK..(and they will back that) the reasoning is that the two-stroke engine makes the mercury jump around a bit in the tubes....But once you use one...You will find that the jumping is not that bad....And it is not hard to find a common point between the two mercury levels....

Good luck...I'm no professional, but will help if I can. jimk@borg.com
~Jim '96 Banshee